none
Non-default SSS ID and OLAP cube data connection files RRS feed

• Question

• I have set up Excel Services for Project Server 2010. There are multiple instances of PWA on the same server and I need to have secure reporting in each instance, so I've used a non-default SSS ID ("ProjectServerApplication_xyz") (see article Creating Additional Project Server Instances). I've edited the SSS ID in the data connection .odc files accordingly. The sample reports work without problems.

I've also set up an OLAP cube. There is a problem with the data connection .odc files that are created when the OLAP cube is built. They contain the default SSS ID "ProjectServerApplication". I can edit the .odc files and change the SSS ID to "ProjectServerApplication_xyz". Unfortunately, the .odc files are recreated each time the cube is rebuilt, and the SSS ID is reset to "ProjectServerApplication".

How can I get OLAP rebuild process to create .odc files with the correct (non-default) SSS ID?

Thursday, February 24, 2011 11:22 AM

Answers

• This workaround helps:

• Copy the cube ODC files created by the system in the [sqlservername] - [cubename] folder
    • Edit the SSS ID in the copied ODC files
    • Save the copies in another folder (e.g. one folder up in the folder hierarchy: BI Center - Data Connections - English (United States)).
    • Edit the Excel report templates and workbooks and point them to use the edited ODC copies that have the correct SSS ID's.

I have not found a way to change the SSS ID that is set in the recreated cube ODC files each time the cube is refreshed.

Thursday, March 17, 2011 1:02 PM

All replies

• Hello OLAP cube does not drive ODC creation, what you will need to do is edit them with the new SSS ID.
    Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Friday, February 25, 2011 1:01 AM
  • Thanks for your reply Christophe.

Here's what I'm seeing: When the cube was created, a new folder ([sqlservername] - [cubename]) was created in Business Intelligence Center - Data Connections - English (United States). This folder contains ODC files for connecting to the cube. New workbook templates that point to the ODC files were also created in a new folder in the Templates folder.

You are correct that I can edit the odc files and change the SSS ID, and the workbook templates will work.

The problem is that the ODC files get overwritten with new versions each time the cube is refreshed, resetting the SSS ID to the default value. This is easy to verify by looking at the version history of the ODC files.

So I'm looking for a way to keep the edited SSS ID in the ODC files and not have it overwritten to an incorrect value by the system.

Friday, February 25, 2011 12:19 PM
  • This workaround helps:

• Copy the cube ODC files created by the system in the [sqlservername] - [cubename] folder
    • Edit the SSS ID in the copied ODC files
    • Save the copies in another folder (e.g. one folder up in the folder hierarchy: BI Center - Data Connections - English (United States)).
    • Edit the Excel report templates and workbooks and point them to use the edited ODC copies that have the correct SSS ID's.

I have not found a way to change the SSS ID that is set in the recreated cube ODC files each time the cube is refreshed.

Thursday, March 17, 2011 1:02 PM