none
BitLocker - Stuck at 60% RRS feed

• Question

• I went to encrypt a 4 TB external hard drive with all of my important files on it. I got 60% of the way through after 24 hours and decided I would encrypt the main hard drive at the same time. To initiate this I was required to restart as the drive was not TPM.

I paused the encryption at 60% restarted. Upon restarting the main drive encrypted quite quickly, I attempted to unpause the external drive as well to continue encrypting, but it kept giving me a device not ready error message.

System and compressed memory process was also using lots of CPU and causing the computer to come to stand still almost. I did some research found no identical situations but methods to recover the hard drive.

I ran the repair-bde commands and then got a mile long command prompt of Log Errors (Failed to decrypt data at offset ************). I tried chkdsk and a bunch of other things people suggested. This makes so no sense, I followed all the proper steps. Does anyone have any suggestions, I can't afford to reformat this drive, with the data that is on it.

Sunday, January 24, 2016 1:20 AM

Answers

• try Repair-bde

S.Sengupta, Windows Experience MVP

Sunday, January 24, 2016 11:31 AM
  • Hi,

Generally speaking, it's not recommended you do that. If you stop the encryption process, it may fails and may have to start the process all over. You could also risk data loss if you just shut down.

So far, please re-mount this drive, and then try the following:

Firstly using manage-bde -status command to identifies whether or not it's BitLocker-protected and the current encryption status.

If it's protected, using Manage-bde: off command to decrypt the drive and turns off BitLocker. All key protectors are removed when decryption is complete.

After that, using Manage-bde: on command to encrypts the drive and turns on BitLocker again.

If it's not protected, using Manage-bde: resume command to resume encryption.

If the command fails, give us the screenshot of the error message for analysis.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 7:31 AM

All replies

• try Repair-bde

S.Sengupta, Windows Experience MVP

Sunday, January 24, 2016 11:31 AM
  • Hi,

Generally speaking, it's not recommended you do that. If you stop the encryption process, it may fails and may have to start the process all over. You could also risk data loss if you just shut down.

So far, please re-mount this drive, and then try the following:

Firstly using manage-bde -status command to identifies whether or not it's BitLocker-protected and the current encryption status.

If it's protected, using Manage-bde: off command to decrypt the drive and turns off BitLocker. All key protectors are removed when decryption is complete.

After that, using Manage-bde: on command to encrypts the drive and turns on BitLocker again.

If it's not protected, using Manage-bde: resume command to resume encryption.

If the command fails, give us the screenshot of the error message for analysis.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 7:31 AM