locked
RDLC performance in a ReportView local mode. RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi,

    I have a reportviewer in an aspx page.  It is in local mode and uses a report which is populated by a list of Customer objects.

    The performance is good when I only add fields ID and FullName to the RDLC XML.

    However as soon as I start adding new fields, like email, phone or address fields, the performance drops off exponentially and the control becomes unusable.  This is just when I add to the <Fields>, not even adding anything to display in the Tablix fields.

    It feels like there is something going on with each new field added, like some kind of indexing or grouping that needs to be disabled.

    Any advice?

    (e.g. removing one of the three fields from below in the RDLC XML vastly improves performance:

       <Field Name="ID">
              <DataField>ID</DataField>
              <rd:TypeName>System.Int32</rd:TypeName>
            </Field>
            <Field Name="FullName">
              <DataField>FullNameRDLC</DataField>
              <rd:TypeName>System.String</rd:TypeName>
            </Field>
          <Field Name="PrimaryAddress">
              <DataField>PrimaryAddress</DataField>
              <rd:TypeName>System.String</rd:TypeName>
            </Field>

    )

    Thanks, 

       Jack.

    Sunday, February 24, 2013 3:25 PM

All replies

  • If you run SELECT statement on the server does it run fast?. Looks like you need to have a covering index for the SELECT.

    Best Regards,Uri Dimant SQL Server MVP, http://sqlblog.com/blogs/uri_dimant/

    MS SQL optimization: MS SQL Development and Optimization
    MS SQL Blog: Large scale of database and data cleansing
    Remote DBA Services: Improves MS SQL Database Performance

    Sunday, February 24, 2013 3:34 PM
  • I'm using a collection of objects.  There is no problem with getting data from the DB.  The delay comes after I have assigned the dataset to the report.
    Sunday, February 24, 2013 4:06 PM
  • I'm using a collection of objects.  There is no problem with getting data from the DB.  The delay comes after I have assigned the dataset to the report.

    I am experiencing similar problem, as Jack said rdlc takes significant amount of time to render the data. I think, this problem is more associated with the report design, as the report's design gets complicated then a performance issue raises. But, so far, I did not figure out how to tune rdlc.
    Sunday, October 27, 2013 10:35 AM