none
Multiple Authenticator Prompts When Using Multiple Microsoft Products RRS feed

• Question

• I have a work laptop that has multiple O365 products installed.  After talking with the local admin, the machine image apparently installs each MS product separately (word, excel, powerpoint, outlook, visio, onenote, project).  We are using Microsoft Authenticator.

Every few days, I receive a prompt asking for my company SSO password and then it sends a request to my MS Authenticator app on my phone for approval.

My issue is that I have to repeat this process 6 TIMES in a row in order to keep working on my laptop.  It appears that it is requesting a separate authentication prompt for each Microsoft product.  Needless to say, this is a very frustrating process to constantly repeat every week.

Supposedly, there is a registry fix that can consolidate these authentication prompts into a single prompt.  However, I have been unsuccessful in locating this fix.  Would you please assist?

• Edited by N Van Thursday, March 1, 2018 7:06 PM
    Thursday, March 1, 2018 7:05 PM

All replies

• Your admin may have to rebuild the image he/she is using to deploy?

Are they / did they use a separate installer for each Office app? As in... you have bought the products individually rather than something like Office 365 Pro Plus etc?

I have a similar setup, where I created a standard image of Windows 10 with Office 2016 as well as installations for MS Project 2016 and MS Visio 2016, when you run sysprep on the final image the Office product keys are removed.

When we image a new computer we only ever have to activate 3 times;

1 x Office 2016 ProPlus

1 x  MS Project 2016

1 x MS Visio 2016

Once that is done the user doesn't receive any other prompts again.

Might pay to look into how the software was installed on the base image used.

Thursday, March 1, 2018 7:46 PM
  • From what I've been told, they installed each product separately into the image and correcting this is not an option at this time for 20k users.

I'm looking for a reg fix so that it only authenticates once for all Office products that are installed, instead of each individual product having their own prompt.  The issue isn't with the initial product registration.  Rather, every few days Microsoft Authenticator pops up asking for approval.

• Edited by N Van Thursday, March 1, 2018 7:50 PM
    Thursday, March 1, 2018 7:49 PM