Win10 1511 upgrade not being offered by WSUS RRS feed

• Question

• I followed all the steps, installed the hotfix and enabled the category, but WSUS will not offer the 1511 update or mark it as applicable to anything.

I've disabled deferral in group policy and verified that the clients are seeing it.

I can manually upgrade systems via USB, flat file or Windows Update. Once upgraded by whatever means, WSUS will offer patches to the systems with 1511.

Where should I be looking next? Anyone have any ideas?

Bill

Wednesday, January 27, 2016 3:17 PM

Answers

• Finally got it figured out. The culprit turned out to be "DisableOSUpgrade" policy setting from an older version of the WSUS policy, just hanging around. Doesn't even show up if you're editing the current policy.

I had to restore an older version of the wsus.admx & adml, disable that old setting, and reinstall the current wsus.admx & adml.
    Helpful article here: https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/3pscen/group_policy_disable_os_upgrade_missing/
    • Marked as answer by Bill_Tunney Monday, February 1, 2016 11:09 PM
    Monday, February 1, 2016 11:09 PM

All replies

• Hi Bill_Tunney,

Check if create a DWORD called AllowOSUpgrade with a value of 1 in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade

on client, then manually check for update could detect the upgrade.

If you don't see OSUpgrade under windowsupdate, then create a key named "OSUpgrade".

For more detailed information, you may click the following post:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/29b722f2-4e51-4e74-bf1d-76139dc2e473/wsus-and-windows-10-upgrade-not-instlaling-on-client?forum=winserverwsus

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 28, 2016 5:50 AM
  • This does not appear to work for me.

Added the registry key on Windows 10.10240 and checked multiple times with WSUS, no noted change in behavior.

On a possibly related note I see 512 possible updates, including the language and version variations, for 1511. Is this correct?

• Unmarked as answer by Bill_Tunney Monday, February 1, 2016 11:09 PM
    Thursday, January 28, 2016 6:25 PM
  • Finally got it figured out. The culprit turned out to be "DisableOSUpgrade" policy setting from an older version of the WSUS policy, just hanging around. Doesn't even show up if you're editing the current policy.

I had to restore an older version of the wsus.admx & adml, disable that old setting, and reinstall the current wsus.admx & adml.
    Helpful article here: https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/3pscen/group_policy_disable_os_upgrade_missing/
    Monday, February 1, 2016 11:09 PM