none
Setting up a master project with template projects RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone know of some information on how to achieve this? I am trying to migrate a client from Project 2003 (!) to Project online;

I have setup Project Pro 2013 and can now publish existing local .mpp files up to Project Online. No problem.

The client has a workflow where he;

1. Creates a new project from a temlate project
    2. Imports the created project into a "Master" project file

The goal is not to need Project Pro anymore, and be able to do both those things via Project Online.

Should the Master project be a different site? Should every project be it's own site? Are projects in the same site effectively in a master project setup?

I was thinking one step might be to have the templates uploaded as sharepoint task lists, which can be imported, but the template files must be setup as enterprise projects according to MS Project 2013.

Any pointers to information would be appreciate, Professor Bing has not helped me as much as I would hope :-)

Thanks,

Mathew.

Wednesday, June 17, 2015 11:27 PM

All replies

• If all you want is a few lists of tasks, then you can eliminate Project Pro. But if you actually want to schedule a project, get its critical path and have it dynamically update as you edit things, you need Project Pro. The Goal is to use it appropriately, eliminating it removes many business benefits and may involve increasing Project costs and PM workloads.

Think or Project pro as the main scheduling tool still, and Project Online as your multi-project reporting tool.

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Thursday, June 18, 2015 6:13 AM