none
Bitlocker PW and Identifier RRS feed

• Question

1. I turned Bitlocker on in several older PC's that do not have a TPM chip.  All of them went well.  I ended up with a Recovery Key, Identifier and PW.  Now when those PC's boot up a Bitlocker PW is required before it goes to the Windows sign on screen. Lastly, I turned Bitlocker on in my newer model laptop that does have a TPM chip.  I ended up with only the Recovery Key, not an Identifier or PW.  Now my laptop boots up to the Windows sign on screen.  I need it to boot up and ask for a Bitlocker PW first.  Where do I go to add a PW?  Where do I go to discover my Identifier?
    Tuesday, November 1, 2016 9:52 PM

All replies

• According to your description, I suspect that your BitLocker encryption process is not complete, when I enable BitLocker on my C partition, I can see this interface, after follow its guide complete configuration, the C partition start encrypt, which cost a long time.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766295(v=ws.10).aspx

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 2, 2016 3:19 AM
  • When I go to Control Panel, Bitlocker Drive Encryption it shows C: Bitlocker On.  It give options to Suspend Protection, Back up your Recovery Key and Turn off Bitlocker.  I do not see an option to Create a password to unlock this drive.  In Explorer the tree shows the C: drive with a lock icon next to it.  Please send an article on how to make this laptop actually encrypt my C: drive because it did not take ANY time to encrypt my C: drive when I turned bitlocker on, during which process I did select the option for computers with data (not the new PC option).  And how to I create a PW?
    Wednesday, November 2, 2016 9:29 PM
  • I guess I know what is happening: your "newer" PC might feature a TPM version 2.0 chip, is that right? If so, it will require an UEFI installation of windows.

Please verify:

1 open device manager and read out the TPM version

2 open an elevated command prompt and launch

diskpart

list disk

select disk 0

--

one command after the other. Then look at the output and tell me whether you see a "*" blow "GPT" or not.

Wednesday, November 2, 2016 9:37 PM