Working with dates in expressions RRS feed

• Question

• Why do I get a # Error when running a report with the below expression?

=Fields!Time_Begin.Value+Fields!Current_Contract_Days.Value

Monday, July 22, 2013 1:52 PM

Answers

• 450 was the sample data.  That expression would add 450 to every record but each record may have a different Current Contract Days.

What I want to do is take a date field (Fields!Time_Begin.Value) and add a number field (Fields!Current_Contract_ Days.Value) to produce a new date.

Hi,

I tried your scenario , it works perfectly

below is the expression for New Date :

=FormatDateTime(DateAdd("d", Fields!Current_Contract_Days.Value, Fields!Time_Begin.Value), DateFormat.ShortDate)

sathya --------- Mark as answered if my post solved your problem and Vote as helpful if my post was useful.

• Marked as answer by PKA55 Tuesday, July 23, 2013 6:15 PM
    Tuesday, July 23, 2013 5:49 PM

All replies

• Hi PK,

You cant add the different data types fields in a expression. As per my knowledge,

Fields!Time_Begin.Value = Datetime value

Fields!Current_Contract_Days.Value = Number of days

You can't add the values. If you are trying to display then use it as:

=Fields!Time_Begin.Value &"-" & Fields!Current_Contract_Days.Value

For example: Fields!FieldName.Value & " - " & Fields!FieldName.Value

For more information on expressions:

http://www.msbimaru.blogspot.dk/2011/03/ssrs-expressions.html

http://www.msbimaru.blogspot.dk/2013/01/some-more-ssrs-expressions-collection.html

Maruthi...

Monday, July 22, 2013 3:32 PM
  • Hi,

Is Time_Begin & Current_Contract_Days are of same/compatible  type .

Try this link for converting to appropriate data types in SSRS - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd255246.aspx

Common Date Expressions - http://bidn.com/blogs/DevinKnight/ssis/381/ssrs-commonly-required-date-expressions

Can you post error description ?

sathya --------- Mark as answered if my post solved your problem and Vote as helpful if my post was useful.

Monday, July 22, 2013 3:34 PM
  • Thanks for the responce Sathya, No the 2 fields are not the same data type.  One is a Date and the other a number.  I am trying to calculate a new date by adding a number of days to an existing date. There is no other error message but #Error. 

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 3:17 PM
  • Thanks Maruthi,

Well I'm stuck if you can't use different data types in an expression.  But you would think something Excel and Access does so easily can also be done in Report Builder.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 3:26 PM
  • Thanks Maruthi,

Well I'm stuck if you can't use different data types in an expression.  But you would think something Excel and Access does so easily can also be done in Report Builder.

Hi ,

Post both fields (Fields!Time_Begin.Value , Fields!Current_Contract_Days.Value ) data type ,

Sample data  and expected output ...

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 4:03 PM
  • Fields!Time_Begin.Value  - Date field - sample data 08/01/2012

Fields!Current_Contract_Days.Value  - Number Field - sample data 450

Expected outpout = 9/5/2013 

Thanks for the help!

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 4:40 PM
  • Try like this,

=DateAdd("d", 450, Fields!Time_Begin.Value)

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 5:15 PM
  • 450 was the sample data.  That expression would add 450 to every record but each record may have a different Current Contract Days.

What I want to do is take a date field (Fields!Time_Begin.Value) and add a number field (Fields!Current_Contract_ Days.Value) to produce a new date.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 5:31 PM

Hi,

I tried your scenario , it works perfectly

below is the expression for New Date :

=FormatDateTime(DateAdd("d", Fields!Current_Contract_Days.Value, Fields!Time_Begin.Value), DateFormat.ShortDate)

• Marked as answer by PKA55 Tuesday, July 23, 2013 6:15 PM
    Tuesday, July 23, 2013 5:49 PM
  • Thanks so much!!  It works!!!

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 6:42 PM