DAG causing connection problems? RRS feed

• Question

• I've setup a DAG between a local Exch2010 and remote Exch2010 server. My smtp connection for voicemail to email has now stopped working. Can test the smtp connection and that works, but I'm not able to send any email from that computer.

Could this be a throttling issue caused by the DAG?

Friday, April 8, 2011 5:46 PM

Answers

• If you open a new instance of EMS and call the Update-MailboxDatabaseCopy cmdlet with the exact same parameters as the outstanding seed, it should pick up the current seeding session and show you progress. The reason is because the cmdlet doesn't actually participate in the seed. The replay service on the active and passive nodes are doing the seed and EMS can be configured as a watcher process that receives progress updates.

Also in Perfmon there are preformance counters which show precent complete (MSExchange Replica Seeder(*)\Seeding Finished %). There is a little bug with the seeding perf counters though where they don't show %100. It'll get to %99 and stay there even when the seed completes. But it's still a way to track the progress.

• Edited by jader3rd Saturday, April 9, 2011 3:42 PM Added specific perf counter
    • Proposed as answer by Alan.Gim Monday, April 11, 2011 5:53 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alan.Gim Friday, April 15, 2011 3:04 AM
    Saturday, April 9, 2011 3:39 PM

All replies

• Doubtful. If so, you would see other problems as well.

WHat exactly happens when you send mail from that computer? Is it sitting in a queue? Any errors?

Friday, April 8, 2011 6:57 PM
  • After I tried getting it to work it finally sent one email from the PC. About 30 minutes later my Exchange box blue screened and rebooted.

Not sure if this was caused by the seeding that was going on or something else. Also, when I setup an Outlook profile it points to the secondary Exchange server instead of our production one. Even if I put in the IP address of the local Exchange it changes back to the one over the WAN.

Any ideas?

Friday, April 8, 2011 7:17 PM
  • hello Cartonw1,

please can you upload the logs which make your issue more clear???

via logs we can understand the problem.

thanks in advance.

Medhat Mousa.
    Friday, April 8, 2011 8:18 PM
  • Given that the Dag doesn't throttle anything, I'd be shocked if that caused it. Is the RpcClientAccessServer set correct? Do you have Cas Arrays in the two sites? The email goes from your client computer, to the Cas, to the mailbox server, to a Hub server, where it's then sent to wherever it's going. Does the email end up in the Outbox of the account? If you log in through OWA is it in the Outbox of the mailbox on the mailbox server? What do the message tracking logs on the mailbox server say about the email?
    • Proposed as answer by jader3rd Saturday, April 9, 2011 3:32 PM
    Friday, April 8, 2011 9:42 PM
  • Increase the diagnostics logging for Replication and check for errors.
    Check the smtp logs , event viewer for any errors , Exbpa alsoo would help
    Friday, April 8, 2011 10:13 PM
  • I've setup a DAG between a local Exch2010 and remote Exch2010 server. My smtp connection for voicemail to em

ail has now stopped working. Can test the smtp connection and that works, but I'm not able to send any email from that computer.

Could this be a throttling issue caused by the DAG?

If these 2010 servers are not combined roles and this is in a second AD Site you MUST have a Hub Transport Server in the second site to route mail. You do not specifically need a CAS, a CAS or a Client Access Array will proxy MAPI connections across AD Sites to the relevant DAG or mailbox server the mailbox resides on.

Rather than provide logs and exbpa reports and everything else, i'd prefer you to describe your actual Exchange insfrastructure in greater detail, so we can get a basic visual understanding of it, your above post is as little sparse on details.

One other thing to note - if you stretch a DAG across locations you must ensure the link is not more than 500ms - ensure you have a healthy DAG before moving databases across sites/locations.

Oliver

Oliver Moazzezi | Exchange MVP, MCSA:M, MCITP:Exchange 2010, BA (Hons) Anim | http://www.exchange2010.com | http://www.cobweb.com | http://twitter.com/OliverMoazzezi
    Friday, April 8, 2011 10:41 PM
  • I set RpcClientAccessServer to my primary Exchange server and email setup on my voicemail smtp connection seems to be working now.

I've restarted the seeding from the EMC using the update, but unlke the EMS it doesn't give my live updates as to the progress. I can run Get-MailboxDatabaseCopyStatus, but that doesn't tell me how much has been copied over. How else can I track the progress?

Friday, April 8, 2011 11:31 PM
  • If you open a new instance of EMS and call the Update-MailboxDatabaseCopy cmdlet with the exact same parameters as the outstanding seed, it should pick up the current seeding session and show you progress. The reason is because the cmdlet doesn't actually participate in the seed. The replay service on the active and passive nodes are doing the seed and EMS can be configured as a watcher process that receives progress updates.

Also in Perfmon there are preformance counters which show precent complete (MSExchange Replica Seeder(*)\Seeding Finished %). There is a little bug with the seeding perf counters though where they don't show %100. It'll get to %99 and stay there even when the seed completes. But it's still a way to track the progress.

• Edited by jader3rd Saturday, April 9, 2011 3:42 PM Added specific perf counter
    • Proposed as answer by Alan.Gim Monday, April 11, 2011 5:53 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alan.Gim Friday, April 15, 2011 3:04 AM
    Saturday, April 9, 2011 3:39 PM
  • Jader3rd,

I started the seeding from the GUI then ran the Update-MailboxDatabaseCopy to monitor the amount of data copied, but after about 2 hours the update fails with the error below. Strange thing is that the seeding isn't affected. I've started the update twice while the seeding is running and both times the update command has failed even though the seeding isn't affected. Any ideas?

Processing data from remote server failed with the following error message: The WinRM client cannot complete the operat
    ion within the time specified. Check if the machine name is valid and is reachable over the network and firewall except
    ion for Windows Remote Management service is enabled. For more information, see the about_Remote_Troubleshooting Help t
    opic.
        + CategoryInfo          : OperationStopped: (System.Manageme...pressionSyncJob:PSInvokeExpressionSyncJob) [], PSRe
       motingTransportException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : JobFailure

Saturday, April 23, 2011 9:57 PM
  • That error has nothing to do with the connection between the replay service on the passive server or the active server (which are what are involved in the seed). That has to do with the connection between the instance of PowerShell that's running and the remote PowerShell service that's running on one of the CAS servers.
    Sunday, April 24, 2011 2:51 PM
  • The seeding just completed from the EMS, but I see that the status on the GUI says "Suspended and Failed".

I waited 30 minutes thinking it was taking some time to update, but the error is still there. What can I do to fix this?

Sunday, April 24, 2011 3:43 PM
  • If a copy is Suspended, it'll never leave that state on it's own. That requires admin intervention. If you do Get-MailboxDatabaseCopyStatus <Copy ID> | fl, there should be a failed message and a suspend comment. Hopefully that will have more details about what went wrong. Test-ReplicationHealth might also give some additional ideas.
    Sunday, April 24, 2011 6:35 PM
  • This is what I get when I run "Test-ReplicationHealth | fl".

RunspaceId       : d7761f9b-c34e-4a6c-93f8-fe1931bc4917
    Server           : EXCHANGE2010
    Check            : QuorumGroup
    CheckDescription : Checks that the quorum and witness for the database availability group is healthy.
    Result           : *FAILED*
    Error            : Quorum resource 'Cluster Group' is not online on server 'exchange2010'. Database availability group
                       'DAG1' might not be reachable or may have lost redundancy. Error:
                               IPv4 Static Address 2 (Cluster Group): Offline
                        is offline. Please verify that the Cluster service is running on the server.

Identity         :

Sunday, April 24, 2011 7:21 PM
  • Validating the Cluster cleared this up, but I've given up on the DAG copy. I'm sending a USB drive Fedex to the remote site and then resume the suspended seeding.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 1:06 AM