unable to select theme RRS feed

• Question

• there is a theme which doesn't change in my vaio laptop which have windows 7 os, when i select new theme it loads for few second and after about 6 to 9 second the same old theme is displayed automatically, i even deleted it from user folder but it reappears within few second even after deleting
    i deleted it from every possible places but still unable to change to new theme,

my friend gave this laptop to me and i am unable to contact him for this problem,
    • Edited by bish chh Monday, August 6, 2012 4:57 AM
    Monday, August 6, 2012 4:06 AM

Answers

• Hi ,

Please check if the following group policies are configured.

User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Control Panel -> Personalization ->Prevent changing theme and  Force a specific Visual Style file or force Windows Classic.

Make sure that the graphics card driver is update to date.

Also, test the issue in Clean Boot Mode.

Clean boot

=================

Let’s disable all startup items and third party services when booting. This method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading program or service.

Please perform the following steps:

1. Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.

Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK". Then, restart the computer. 

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment, if the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Tracy Cai

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by bish chh Wednesday, August 22, 2012 7:56 AM
    Tuesday, August 7, 2012 8:05 AM
  • Hi ,

Since you can change the theme in clean boot mode, you may take the step 2-step 7 in the following link to determine which program or service maybe causing the issue. 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Local Group Policy Editor is a Microsoft Management Console (MMC) snap-in that you can use to edit local Group Policy objects (GPOs). Local Group Policy Editor and the Resultant Set of Policy snap-in are available in Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, and Windows 7 Enterprise. For more information, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=139815.

To open the Local Group Policy Editor, click Start, click Run, and then type gpedit.msc.

Tracy Cai

• Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Wednesday, August 22, 2012 6:54 AM
    Monday, August 13, 2012 7:06 AM

All replies

• What is a "them"? do you perhaps mean "theme"?

Al Dunbar -- remember to 'mark or propose as answer' or 'vote as helpful' as appropriate.

Monday, August 6, 2012 4:42 AM
  • yes and i have corrected id, sorry for that

mus

Monday, August 6, 2012 4:58 AM
  • can you provide a few screenshots?  Of the theme you are selecting and what it says
    Monday, August 6, 2012 12:39 PM
  • Hi,

Are you the administrator of this machine?

Can you please check whether the group policy, User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Personalization\Prevent changing theme is set?

There are also, related group policies in the same location for theme settings.

Would be great if you can check the setting there.

Janaki Hariharan

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 6:58 AM
  • Hi ,

Please check if the following group policies are configured.

User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Control Panel -> Personalization ->Prevent changing theme and  Force a specific Visual Style file or force Windows Classic.

Make sure that the graphics card driver is update to date.

Also, test the issue in Clean Boot Mode.

Clean boot

=================

Let’s disable all startup items and third party services when booting. This method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading program or service.

Please perform the following steps:

1. Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.

Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK". Then, restart the computer. 

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment, if the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Tracy Cai

• Marked as answer by bish chh Wednesday, August 22, 2012 7:56 AM
    Tuesday, August 7, 2012 8:05 AM
  • where is that user configuration i cant find any where

mus

Friday, August 10, 2012 2:19 PM
  • i tried your second solution it worked , now i am able to change theme,

but i cant find out which service caused the problem and i dont want to disable all of those services

mus

also now another problem aroused due to disabling the services , the scroll function in touch pad wont work,

i again enabled every services that were previously disabled but still scroll is not working

• Edited by bish chh Friday, August 10, 2012 2:59 PM
    Friday, August 10, 2012 2:28 PM
  • Hi ,

Since you can change the theme in clean boot mode, you may take the step 2-step 7 in the following link to determine which program or service maybe causing the issue. 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Local Group Policy Editor is a Microsoft Management Console (MMC) snap-in that you can use to edit local Group Policy objects (GPOs). Local Group Policy Editor and the Resultant Set of Policy snap-in are available in Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, and Windows 7 Enterprise. For more information, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=139815.

To open the Local Group Policy Editor, click Start, click Run, and then type gpedit.msc.

Tracy Cai

• Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Wednesday, August 22, 2012 6:54 AM
    Monday, August 13, 2012 7:06 AM
  • i traced the problem which was causing so

it was ======   the webshots desktop launcher

but when i stopped it from msconfig it would start again in next restart of computer

i tried to figure out it in desktop launcher but i didnt found any of such  theme used there

and i tried to search this service in service of computer manager i didnt found it there

so could u please help me again

mus

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 2:33 PM
  • Hi,

Webshots Desktop can help you refresh your Windows wallpaper. This program might be installed before. Please check if can be removed from the Control Panel.

Uninstall or change a program

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Uninstall-or-change-a-program

In addition, download and use the Program Install and Uninstall troubleshooter.

Tracy Cai

Thursday, August 23, 2012 1:45 AM