none
change a workflow task form sharepoint 2013

Question

• I have created approval workflow(sharePoint 2010) which bydefault uses task form "_layouts/15/WrkTaskIP.aspx". Is there any way to trigger the workflow using this form "_layouts/15/approve.aspx"

Thursday, December 29, 2016 7:24 AM

All replies

• Hi Kodnil,

The “_layouts/15/approve.aspx” form is used for the Content Approval. And the “_layouts/15/WrkTaskIP.aspx” form is used for the Approval workflow.

Content Approval and Approval workflow are different.

The Approval workflow routes a document or item to a group of people for approval. It supports staged approvals whereby the first set of approvers can review and approve, then the next set of approvers can review and approve, and so on. Each stage of approvers can do review in serial order (one at a time), parallel order (all at once). The Approval workflow can be created using out of the box workflow "Approval - SharePoint 2010" or be created as a custom SharePoint Designer Workflow. It can also be used to set content approval status at the end.

Per my testing, if we start a workflow automatically when an item is changed, the workflow will be triggered when the content approval status is changed. But the content approval status also be changed to the “Pending” once the workflow is started. So, the “If Current Item: Approval Status equals Approval/Reject” condition in the workflow cannot be satisfied.

As a workaround, we could use the Approval workflow and customize the approval form for the Approval workflow.

A demo about customizing the approval form:

https://threewill.com/updating-task-approval-form-box-sharepoint-approval-workflow/

Best regards,

Linda Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, December 30, 2016 4:29 AM
  • Hi Linda,

Thanks for the explanation.

Please suggest an easy way for user to reach out to "_layouts/15/WrkTaskIP.aspx". Its not easy at the moment. How Can i have link(to Workflow Approval form) in Ribbon OOTB way.

Can we use lazy approval here?
    • Edited by Kodnil Friday, December 30, 2016 6:52 AM
    Friday, December 30, 2016 4:55 AM
  • Hi Kodnil,

It is not easy to achieve this requirement.

For achieving that, we need to consider the id of the workflow tasks list and the id of the specific workflow task which is assigned to the current user in the workflow tasks list. It is difficult.

A simple way is that manually navigating to the workflow status page and click the link in the ‘Tasks’ section.

Best Regards,

Linda Zhang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, December 30, 2016 8:45 AM
  • id of the workflow tasks list can be found using browser by accessing any task  and the id of the specific workflow task can be found out using [%Current Task:ID%]

Could you please provide reference link to achieve this?

I would prefer difficult way of implementation rather than putting my user in Trouble :)

Friday, December 30, 2016 9:00 AM
  • Hi Kodnil,

No, it cannot be found using [%Current Task:ID%] because the user is in the items/files page.

You may need to add some customizations to get the ids of tasks created by the workflow and the user that each task is assigned to. Add code to the page to get the current user and identify which task is assigned to the current user.

I did not find any articles about achieving this requirement.

Please see the articles from SharePoint 2013 development overview to learn how to develop in SharePoint.

Best Regards,

Linda Zhang

Wednesday, January 4, 2017 9:30 AM