none
WDS fails on new machine RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've done what I normally do when we start using a new Dell model: I get the latest driver pack from http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/enterprise-client/w/wiki/2065.dell-driver-cab-files-for-enterprise-client-os-deployment , I extract, import into MDT (We use total chaos method as we're too small and don't have the time to bother with creating selection profiles), rebuild the entire image and then proceed to do a network boot and build on the machine.

The latest model we've got is the Latitude 3550 and I'm having issues running the process on it, it fails with "A connection to the deployment share could not be made.  The following network device did not have a driver installed. PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&SUBSYS_06321028&REV_10"  The driver is definitely imported, I even tried extracting the driver from the PCs stock image just in case there was an issue (But the driver files have the same hash as the one downloaded from the Dell website) but it still fails.  Looking through the setupapi logs it looks to me as if Windows has accepted and installed the driver fine but yet there's still no network connection.  Looking at the client I can't find a PNPEnum.xml file anywhere but I've uploaded the remaining (Cleansed to remove server names & other identifiable information as per company policy) logs here:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=DBBB3B788FCC4972!642&authkey=!AAIhnXEjXOWNOEM&ithint=folder%2cxml

Monday, July 20, 2015 12:56 AM

All replies

• Even if you're a small outfit, if you're dealing with more than a hand full of models I'd recommend moving to total control instead of total chaos. Besides I don't trust PnP to always grab the right driver when there are multiple versions of the same thing in your driver store.

After you imported your new drivers, did you update your deployment share to update your PE boot image? Even if you added drivers, the PnP drivers aren't injected until after you boot to PE and go through the wizard. If there are new network or storage drivers needed for PE, you MUST build a new PE image. You could at the very lest make a PE selection profile and use the Dell PE driver pack.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

• Edited by Dan_Vega Monday, July 20, 2015 1:28 PM
    Monday, July 20, 2015 1:27 PM
  • Yes, after importing drivers I rebuilt the images like I normally do.  I've done it many times over the years and never had this problem.  Just in case it was conflicting drivers I even removed them all and imported ONLY the drivers for this laptop and still had the same issue.
    Monday, July 20, 2015 10:55 PM
  • For what it's worth to save you time, if you make a PE selection profile you won't have to build a new boot image when you're just importing PnP drivers. What I mean by that is if you import the Dell PE pack (it's small) and only have those drivers added to PE, you will very rarely have to update your boot image as the PnP drivers will be injected when the hardware is detected. If you're doing offline deployments (create media), then you can ignore that because you will have to update your media when you add more drivers.

I looked over your log again and reread your post. The issue does certainly appear to be happening during PE and this wouldn't be a PnP driver issue. When drivers are missing in PE you won't be able to connect to the share. When PnP drivers are the issue, the image will be applied but then you'll get a BSOD or it'll image out but you may having missing device drivers.

Did you add the PE cab file from Dell? You didn't mention which version of MDT you're using, but if it's 2013 you can get the cab file here - http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/enterprise-client/w/wiki/5029.winpe-5-0-driver-cab

Your subject line mentions WDS. Did you replace the boot image used by WDS with the newly created MDT boot image?

• Edited by Dan_Vega Monday, July 20, 2015 11:39 PM WDS
    Monday, July 20, 2015 11:36 PM
  • We're using MDT 2012 Update 1 and we've always solved the issue by importing the drivers into the image and replacing the boot image.  The drivers exist in the image it's booting from, when I go into debug I can see the driver files it's copied and the setupapi logs seem to indicate it's installed the drivers successfully. We've never had a problem with the total chaos method (Although we probably should use profiles, it's always worked and been a non-issue.  Clearly in this case it's not a conflict when I've tried removing all drivers except for the ones for this particular machine).  I've added both the PE and the driver pack from the Dell enterprise page.

I just don't know why I'm having issues with this 1 driver when we've never had the issue before with any other machines or chipsets.  Looking online it seems a few people have issues with this particular Realtek chipset and MDT but I've yet to find anything to resolve the issue.

Tuesday, July 21, 2015 10:16 PM
  • So it is just the RealTek network card driver. You are using the Windows 7 driver. If you are using WAIK 3.0 that is probably fine. However if you are using ADK 8 you need to use a Windows 8/8.1 version of the driver.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, July 21, 2015 10:35 PM
  • Well if I had that model I'd do some testing, but we only have the 5, 6 and 7xxx series of Latitudes. Have you tried a driver directly from Realtek? http://www.realtek.com/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

Wednesday, July 22, 2015 1:31 PM
  • Yes it's only the Realtek driver I'm having troubles with and most of our Latitudes are 5, 6, 7 series too.  Following the original procedure I posted we've never had an issue with any of the others.  We were trying the 3550 as a budget model for use in certain situations where they'd like to minimise costs and the other range are not needed.

I've tried the driver from Realtek directly, as well as the driver pack and manually extracting the driver from the original image that comes on the laptop.

Really pulling my hair out with this one!

Wednesday, July 22, 2015 10:46 PM
  • Total chaos fails when your NIC is a device that is a child of some other device.  Which is fairly common with newer hardware. Up until now you have been lucky.  To get this model to work you need to convert to Total control.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, July 22, 2015 10:52 PM