none
Multiple field names for generic resource matching. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'd like to use 2 fields for matching generic resources to roles and skill sets, and I was wondering if this is possible, and whether or not this would be against best practices. I understand that a role can only be one item, for example, their primary role, but they can have multiple skill sets, and I'd like this capability presented to the PM when assigning resources to replace generics in a schedule. I'd like my name to come up for example if they try to replace a generic PM or BA. 

I'm at a client site, and I'd like to test, but want to make sure I can un-select the Use this field for matching generics if it doesn't do what I want without hurting the clients' system.

Any and all replies will be gratefully appreciated.

Cheers, Ray

Wednesday, March 6, 2019 2:44 PM

Answers

• Hi Ray,

As you already noticed, in Project Pro or PWA you can match generic and nominative resource to a single role (ie bijective relation), but not to multiple item (skills).

I suggest you use instead a power BI report, or Report server report (that allow WebParts), to show best match between required skills and nominative available ressources.  In that case you can fill a "skill" resource customed field, with multiple choice, and multiple value, and the report will manage the One to many relationship. Power BI or SQL can split the multi choice skill field into as many single skill fields (skill 1 2 3 etc...).

Let us know what you managed to do.

Didier Maignan | http://www.e-labor.fr

Wednesday, March 6, 2019 5:23 PM