none
Error 360 : Operation Failed due to a virtual disk service error RRS feed

• Question

• Hello ,

In my DPM 2010 installation i have a problem creating a new protection group .

My storage pool is about 8.5 TB and i have free space 4.7 TB .

I want to create a new storage pool with 500gb of data but i take error 360 and that the storage group has no free space.

Any ideas? I have restart server but i take the same error .

Thanks

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 4:12 PM

Answers

• Hi,

This should work.

$source = get-dpmdisk -dpmserver DPM-SVR-NAME | where {6 -contains $_.ntdiskid}
    $destination = get-dpmdisk -dpmserver DPM-SVR-NAME | where {1,2,3,4,5 -contains $_.ntdiskid}
    MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1 -DPMServername DPM-SVR-NAME -source $source -destination $destination

I forgot to mention, As a workaround you can upgrade to DPM 2012 which has a fix in it that will not try to use the space beyond the 2TB limit, but of course that means that 1 TB will forever be wasted.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, January 17, 2013 3:40 PM
  • Hi,

There is a possibility that the migration was successful, but we just could not remove the disk6 from the storage pool.

Run this SQL Query.

use DPMDB
    select server.servername,datasource.datasourcename,extent.ExtentSize,volume.volumesize,disk.ntdisknumber,volume.usage as UsageIReplicaIIRp,replica.Validity, replica.datasourceid, Volume.GuidName,Volume.VolumeLabel,Volume.MountPointPath from tbl_SPM_Volume Volume
    join tbl_SPM_VolumeSet VolumeSet on VolumeSet.VolumeSetId=Volume.VolumeSetId
    join tbl_PRM_LogicalReplica Replica on Replica.PhysicalReplicaId=VolumeSet.VolumeSetId
    join tbl_IM_Datasource Datasource on Datasource.DatasourceId=Replica.DatasourceId
    join tbl_AM_Server Server on Server.ServerId=Datasource.serverid
    join tbl_SPM_Extent Extent on Extent.GuidName=Volume.GuidName
    join tbl_SPM_Disk disk on disk.DiskID=Extent.DiskID
    where disk.NTDiskNumber in (6) 
    and ProtectedGroupId is not NULL  -- only volumes belonging to a PG are valid for migration, but may prevent removal from storage pool if validy <> 6
    and Replica.Validity <> 6 

If the query returns row(s) - then you need to rerun the MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1 (and use the "data source" --> Disk syntax)

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by A.Psomas Monday, January 21, 2013 11:20 AM
    Friday, January 18, 2013 3:28 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please open an administrative command prompt, then run diskpart.exe
    Once in the diskpart console type: list disk

Copy, paste the results into notepad.

Now open a DPM Powershell windows, and type:
    get-dpmdisk <dpmsever_name>

Again copy, paste the results into notepad.

Post the results from both commands for me to review.

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 10:00 PM
  • Hello and thanks for your quick reply !

Here is the things you have asked me

DISKPART> list disk

Disk ###  Status         Size     Free     Dyn  Gpt
      --------  -------------  -------  -------  ---  ---
      Disk 0    Online          231 GB      0 B
      Disk 1    Online         3221 GB   688 GB   *    *
      Disk 2    Online         1938 GB   182 GB   *    *
      Disk 3    Online         1757 GB   814 GB   *
      Disk 4    Online         2000 GB   861 GB   *    *
      Disk 5    Online         1000 GB   784 GB   *
      Disk 6    Online         3048 GB    26 GB   *

PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin> get-dpmdisk COEUS

Name          Status            NtDiskId Total Capaci Unallocated  Type
                                                       ty        Space
    ----          ------            -------- ------------ ------------ ----
    MSFT Virtu... Healthy                  5      1000 GB       784 GB Dynamic
    MSFT Virtu... Healthy                  3      1758 GB      1010 GB Dynamic
    MSFT Virtu... Healthy                  6      3048 GB      1027 GB Dynamic
    MSFT Virtu... Healthy                  4      2000 GB       861 GB Dynamic
    MSFT Virtu... Healthy                  2      1938 GB       382 GB Dynamic
    MSFT Virtu... Healthy                  1      3221 GB       689 GB Dynamic

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 10:14 PM
  • Hi,

The problem occurs because disk 6 is 3048 GB which is larger than the 2TB MBR disk limit.  That disk will need to be migrated - then removed from DPM storage pool and converted to GPT so the full 3TB can be used.

Using MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd282970.aspx

How to Use The Migratedatasourcedatafromdpm.Ps1 DPM Powershell Script to Move Data: http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2009/06/22/how-to-use-the-migratedatasourcedatafromdpm-ps1-dpm-powershell-script-to-move-data.aspx

FYI - this script will help you determine how much space is required to migrate a "single" disk.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2010/06/05/space-needed-to-migrate-a-disk.aspx

Since some disks may hold one or more parts of the same datasource, the space required to migrate the whole data source is counted on each member disk, so that is why it's only useful for calculating a single disk migration.  If you have multiple disks to migrate, You can run it again after each individual migration is completed.

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 10:21 PM
  • Hello ,

Thanks a lot for your solution. My problem now is that i dont have enough space to move this disk to another one so to make it GPT. Is there a way to split the data sources somehow to the  remaining free space of the storage pool ?

Thanks

Thursday, January 17, 2013 6:36 AM
  • Hi,

This should work.

$source = get-dpmdisk -dpmserver DPM-SVR-NAME | where {6 -contains $_.ntdiskid}
    $destination = get-dpmdisk -dpmserver DPM-SVR-NAME | where {1,2,3,4,5 -contains $_.ntdiskid}
    MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1 -DPMServername DPM-SVR-NAME -source $source -destination $destination

I forgot to mention, As a workaround you can upgrade to DPM 2012 which has a fix in it that will not try to use the space beyond the 2TB limit, but of course that means that 1 TB will forever be wasted.

Thursday, January 17, 2013 3:40 PM
  • Hello ,

I will try this in the management shell and ill come back to you.

Thanks a lot

Friday, January 18, 2013 6:28 AM
  • I run it and after 1 hour running i take this error :

PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin> MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1 -DPM
    Servername coeus.webserve.gr -source $source -destination $destination
    Set-ProtectionGroup : F:\ has recently been migrated. You cannot migrate F:\ ag
    ain until the recovery points on the previous replica volume are available. (ID
    : 31224)
    At C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin\MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1:108
    char:22
    +         Set-ProtectionGroup <<<<  $mpg
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Set-ProtectionGroup], DlsExce
       ption
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : 31224,Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.U
       I.Cmdlet.ProtectionCmdLets.CommitProtectionGroup
    Remove-DPMDisk : Disk 6 cannot be removed from the storage pool because it cont
    ains storage pool volumes. (ID: 355)
    At C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin\MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1:110
    char:16
    +     Remove-DPMDisk <<<<  $Source
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Remove-DPMDisk], InvalidDiskE
       xception
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : 355,Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.
       Cmdlet.RemoveDPMDisk

Friday, January 18, 2013 8:58 AM
  • Hi,

There is a possibility that the migration was successful, but we just could not remove the disk6 from the storage pool.

Run this SQL Query.

use DPMDB
    select server.servername,datasource.datasourcename,extent.ExtentSize,volume.volumesize,disk.ntdisknumber,volume.usage as UsageIReplicaIIRp,replica.Validity, replica.datasourceid, Volume.GuidName,Volume.VolumeLabel,Volume.MountPointPath from tbl_SPM_Volume Volume
    join tbl_SPM_VolumeSet VolumeSet on VolumeSet.VolumeSetId=Volume.VolumeSetId
    join tbl_PRM_LogicalReplica Replica on Replica.PhysicalReplicaId=VolumeSet.VolumeSetId
    join tbl_IM_Datasource Datasource on Datasource.DatasourceId=Replica.DatasourceId
    join tbl_AM_Server Server on Server.ServerId=Datasource.serverid
    join tbl_SPM_Extent Extent on Extent.GuidName=Volume.GuidName
    join tbl_SPM_Disk disk on disk.DiskID=Extent.DiskID
    where disk.NTDiskNumber in (6) 
    and ProtectedGroupId is not NULL  -- only volumes belonging to a PG are valid for migration, but may prevent removal from storage pool if validy <> 6
    and Replica.Validity <> 6 

If the query returns row(s) - then you need to rerun the MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1 (and use the "data source" --> Disk syntax)

• Marked as answer by A.Psomas Monday, January 21, 2013 11:20 AM
    Friday, January 18, 2013 3:28 PM
  • Yes you are right the migration was successful but it could not remove the disk 6 from storage pool.

I have change the disk to GPT and now it works perfect !

Thanks a lot for your help .

Monday, January 21, 2013 11:20 AM