Would Like to Get Report of Daily Emails In and Out from Members to a DL Exchange version : 2007 I am the supervisor for the group and want to quantify this information. I do not need to see the content, just quantity is it possible ? RRS feed

• Question

• Would Like to Get Report of Daily Emails In and Out from Members to a DL
    Exchange version : 2007

I am the supervisor for the group and want to quantify this information. I do not need to see the content, just quantity

is it possible ?
    Wednesday, March 12, 2014 2:03 PM

Answers

• Well, distribution groups don't really have a concept of "in" or "out". They only serve to distribute messages sent to them -- unless you're asking to know who was a member of the distribution group at the time a message was sent to the DL.

Message tracking logs hold the information you want, though. You'd have to look for EXPAND events that reference the distribution group and take the sender's e-mail address from that event. If the DL is a simple one that's not a member of any other groups you could also look for RECEIVE events sent to the e-mail address of the group and get the sender's name from that event.

You can use Powershell extract the rows of data from the logs, but you'll have to write the code to get the data out of those rows and into a format you want. Perhaps LogParser could be useful in place of Powershell?

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE&I, Exchange MVP

Thursday, March 13, 2014 2:03 AM
  • I agree with Rich - you may be able to do it all with PowerShell, depending on what you need to find, but if it gets too complex (while it is possible to do it in PowerShell) some other tool may be more forgiving.
    Thursday, March 13, 2014 7:41 PM

All replies

• If message tracking is enabled (and if it isn't, I highly recommend it be enabled - it's one of the best tools in Exchange, right behind PowerShell), it is possible for an Exchange admin - they would use the message tracking logs and the Tracking Log Explorer from the Exchange toolbox.  They can use a query to get all people who have sent to that DL for any period of time.
    Wednesday, March 12, 2014 6:00 PM
  • Well, distribution groups don't really have a concept of "in" or "out". They only serve to distribute messages sent to them -- unless you're asking to know who was a member of the distribution group at the time a message was sent to the DL.

Message tracking logs hold the information you want, though. You'd have to look for EXPAND events that reference the distribution group and take the sender's e-mail address from that event. If the DL is a simple one that's not a member of any other groups you could also look for RECEIVE events sent to the e-mail address of the group and get the sender's name from that event.

You can use Powershell extract the rows of data from the logs, but you'll have to write the code to get the data out of those rows and into a format you want. Perhaps LogParser could be useful in place of Powershell?

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE&I, Exchange MVP

Thursday, March 13, 2014 2:03 AM
  • I agree with Rich - you may be able to do it all with PowerShell, depending on what you need to find, but if it gets too complex (while it is possible to do it in PowerShell) some other tool may be more forgiving.
    Thursday, March 13, 2014 7:41 PM