no such interface supported RRS feed

• Question

• I am running windows 7 home premium 64 bit. I have an administrator account and I have recently created another standard account because it was recommended that standard accounts should be used rather than administrator. We had been using the admin account and the computer is working fine. When I log on to the new account, I can get on to the internet and use it as always. When I try to click on windows explorer of any of the desktop icons, I get a message saying "no such interface supported" I want to creat two accounts other than the admin account. I want them both to operate the same as the admin acct. All password protected. This is a single desktop computer only used by me and my girlfriend. Can't we each have our own user account and password and have the same access as the administrator account. We will be asked for an administrator password if needed. We just want to aviod always using the admin acct but need to have standard acct configured  
    Saturday, April 30, 2011 8:15 AM

Answers

• You must perform the user account maintainence from the Adminstrator account. There, you can change the additional user account(s) to the Administrator type. The Standard user type has stricter security and access limitations.

You cannot edit the security and limitations of a Standard User account with the Home Premium version of Windows 7.

Use accounts of the Administrator type and a good security program(anti-malware) for your needs.

I advise all computer primary users to use a standard account for other regular users.(or the Guest Account) Limiting what they do to YOUR computer is important. I see no reason for a Standard user, performing browsing, email and regular tasks to need Windows Explorer, installing applications, making changes. They can access Docs, Pics, Music etc.. if an application needs to be installed or a change needs to be made to the operating system, let them request it from the Administrator.

You need to decide on the level of security. Otherwise, you'll find the computer with problems and only excuses or "unknown reasons" for the cause of the problem. Keep a weekly "complete PC backup" or system image on a secure removable drive. Create a restore points also. Then you can recover easily if the other "Adminstrators" cause a problem, if you must allow them an account of that type.

• Marked as answer by Miya Yao Friday, May 6, 2011 7:35 AM
    Sunday, May 1, 2011 10:37 AM