Aero not working, mirror drivers not supported. RRS feed

• Question

• Aero all of a sudden stopped working.  I ran the troubleshooter and it said that "Mirror drivers don't support Aero effects, close programs using mirror drivers."  I have seen other postings that say to open Device Manager up, expand the Display Adapters and uninstall any mirror or mirage drivers.  When I go to that part of Device Manager, the only driver that I see is for the graphics card.  I would suppose that I shouldn't uninstall that or else I wouldn't be able to see a thing, let alone any Aero effects.  I have no clue as to which programs that are currently running would involve mirror drivers.  I don't have remote assistance, remote desktop, or live mesh activated.  Any help would be appreciated.

Rick

Richard Gangwisch
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 8:12 AM

Answers

• Upon further research, I found that the pcAnywhere 12.1 on my machine had a mirror driver installed.  It never showed up in the Device Manager.  I uninstalled pcAnywhere, and voila, Aero is back!  Symantec has a registry hack to disable the mirror driver, so I will try that tomorrow.  Hopefully I wouldn't have to reinstall pcAnywhere every time that I use it just so that I can have the Aero feature.

Hope this reply helps anyone else with the same problem.

Rick

Richard Gangwisch
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Thursday, December 23, 2010 3:15 AM
    Wednesday, December 22, 2010 6:24 AM

All replies

• Hi Rick,

Which graphic card do you use?

Does it support DirectX 9?

André

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 3:42 PM
  • Andre

Thanks for the reply.  I have an ATI Radeon HD 5700 graphics card.  The specs say it supports DirectX 11.

Rick

Richard Gangwisch
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 4:02 PM
  • Remove the Graphic card and install the latest AMD driver:

http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 4:30 PM
  • Andre

I uninstalled ATI Catalyst and installed the latest driver from your link.  Still no luck with Aero.  Any other ideas?

Rick

Richard Gangwisch
    Wednesday, December 22, 2010 5:31 AM
  • Upon further research, I found that the pcAnywhere 12.1 on my machine had a mirror driver installed.  It never showed up in the Device Manager.  I uninstalled pcAnywhere, and voila, Aero is back!  Symantec has a registry hack to disable the mirror driver, so I will try that tomorrow.  Hopefully I wouldn't have to reinstall pcAnywhere every time that I use it just so that I can have the Aero feature.

Hope this reply helps anyone else with the same problem.

Rick

Richard Gangwisch
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Thursday, December 23, 2010 3:15 AM
    Wednesday, December 22, 2010 6:24 AM