Windows XP desktop icons RRS feed

• Question

• After a full scan with MS Security Essentials, in which some issues were identified and corrected in Security Essentials, I am no longer able to arrange the desktop icons in Win XP Pro.  When I arrange them for use, then shutdown, when I reboot the icons have reverted to alphabetic order.  I have tried saving the desktop theme to no avail and I have done a system restore to a point before the MS Security Essentials scan.  I am still unable to arrange the icons and have them stay in place.
    Sunday, July 8, 2012 6:45 PM

All replies

• After a full scan with MS Security Essentials, in which some issues were identified and corrected in Security Essentials, I am no longer able to arrange the desktop icons in Win XP Pro.  When I arrange them for use, then shutdown, when I reboot the icons have reverted to alphabetic order.  I have tried saving the desktop theme to no avail and I have done a system restore to a point before the MS Security Essentials scan.  I am still unable to arrange the icons and have them stay in place.

Hi,

Let’s follow these methods & check if it helps.

Method 1

You may follow these steps & check if the issue persists.

a. Right click an empty space on your desktop and highlight desktop icons.

b. Put a check on 'Lock Web Items on Desktop' and uncheck 'auto arrange’ option.

Method 2

If ‘Method 1’ doesn’t help, you may create a new user account with administrative privilege and check if the issue persists.

How to create and configure user accounts in Windows XP

If you don’t have any issue in the new User Account, access the link below and follow the steps to fix a corrupted user profile:

How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile in Windows XP

Hope the information helps. Please post back and let us know.

Regards,

MCT / MCITP / MCTS / MCSA / C|EH

Sunday, July 8, 2012 6:53 PM
  • Thank you for the reply to my issue.  Unfortunately, neither method worked.  With method 1, upon reboot, the icons reverted to the alphabetic arrangement.  With method 2, the problem is present in the new account as well.

Sam Taylor

Sunday, July 8, 2012 8:51 PM