none
Double counted ACWP RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

2007 SP2. We do not track actual costs at a task level. We use separate tasks to pool the actual cost in breakouts of Capital vs O&M then by labor, materials, purchased services, and other. So we have turned off the option to have Project calculate actual costs. This means that when we enter a 100% complete, the cost field goes to $0. This is great, but ACWP IS getting populated with original costs when the task is set to 100% complete. When Actual costs are entered into the "cost tracking" tasks, this populates the ACWP field as well. What we are seeing at the project level is double the ACWP (plus or minus any variances). I would expect that if Project is NOT calculating Actual Costs, that ACWP should NOT be calculated either. The work around for now is to enter a $1 amount into the Actual Cost field for the non tracked task, then change it back to $0 in the same task to force ACWP to read $0.

Is there an option that I'm missing to have ACWP to not populate at all for these non tracked tasks?

Thanks

Micah

Monday, October 18, 2010 8:58 PM

All replies

• What about assigning resources to the non-tracked tasks using a Rate Table with an empty standard rate?  Go into the Resource Usage View and add the Cost Rate Table field, then toggle to "B" or "C".
    Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Twitter: @alavinsky Blog: http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/epm
    Monday, October 18, 2010 11:43 PM
  • I like it, but we forecast by assigning resources with a flat $57 rate (finance says it averages to be close enough). Going with your approch, would we switch the rate table to B or C after the task is 100% complete? What about 50%? Would this approch double count half the ACWP until the task is fully complete?
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 9:19 PM