none
error message 80004002

Question

• Hi

My PC has recently crashed and my windows software has just been reinstalled (7). I keep getting the above error message when I try to install updates. Can you help please?

Monday, April 23, 2018 12:21 PM

All replies

• This error code is associated with Windows Update.

To fix the problem first turn off Firewall or, any other Internet Security things. Now open Command Prompt as Administrator and put the following commands followed by pressing the Enter key after each command:

regsvr32 wuapi.dll
    regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
    regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll
    regsvr32 wucltui.dll
    regsvr32 wups.dll
    regsvr32 wups2.dll
    regsvr32 wuweb.dll

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

Monday, April 23, 2018 10:10 PM
  • Hi,

AFAIK, the error means the file related to windows update are corrupted.

Here are some methods that you can try:

1.Open cmd as administrator and type sfc /scannow to fix the corrupted system components.

2.Follow the reference to reset the windows update components:

https://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/135720-manually-reset-windows-update-components

3.If you have any 3-party antivirus software installed, uninstall them temporarily.

If nothing helps, regarding that your system crashed before, it is suggested that you can perform an in-place upgrade to fix these.

An in-place upgrade is the final alternative before you have to reinstall the operating system.  Note that it takes the same amount of time to do the upgrade as to reinstall the operating system. Also, some of your customized Windows settings may be lost through this process.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2255099/how-to-perform-an-in-place-upgrade-on-windows-vista-windows-7-windows

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 24, 2018 6:07 AM
  • If you have any problems, please feel free to let me know.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 25, 2018 8:45 AM