none
Best practice for secondary DPM 2010 server? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Today we have one DPM 2010 server (DPM1) protecting servers in the same site as the DPM 2010 server itself.

We are in the progress of configuring a second DPM 2010 server (DPM2) at another site to have an offsite backup. The DPM 2010 server at the second site is not for long term storage, but rather to be a mirror of DPM1 in case DPM1 would fail.

DPM1 is protecting both other servers as well as some files locally on DPM1.

1. Will there be any issues caused by DPM1 protecting local files when we configure DPM2 to protect DPM1?
    2. If there are any issues, is there any way we could work around them?
    3. What is the best practice when it comes to creating Protection Groups on DPM2? Should we create one large PG with all resources on DPM1, or should we create them looking more like they are configured on DPM1? On DPM1 we have one PG per service (i.e. one for SQL, one for Exchange, one for files and so on)?

Regards Erik

Thursday, October 21, 2010 8:44 PM

Answers

• Hey Erik,

Here are my 2 cents:

1. No, there are not.  But remember that you need to install an agent from DPM2 to DPM1

2. Just that you can't protect Exchange 2010 DAG with the primary / secondary protection.  This is by design.  There are other / better ways to protect a dag with multiple DPM servers.

3. If you create a large PG with all resources, then the retention etc... will be the same for all protected data.  If you create smaller PG's, then you will have other retention possibilities etc... So it is all up to the business need per protected workload.  Not really a best practice, it's better to aim at your business requirements.

For your issue: (Post 2) You need to enumerate the PG's on the secondary to get the protected workloads on your primary and then select them like that so that he knows it is secondary.  You can't protect the primary (or other servers) directly because then you get that owner error

Cheers,

Mike

Visit System Center User Group Belgium @ http://scug.be and http://scug.be/blogs/scdpm
    Saturday, October 30, 2010 9:31 AM

All replies

• I removed the PG on DPM1 that were protecting local files on DPM1.

Then I created a PG on DPM2 where I selected domain.tld->DPM1->All Volumes->D:->My folder.

But then I get the following error in the Monitoring tab

DPM cannot run a backup/recovery job on DPM1 because it is owned by the DPM server DPM1 (ID 3107)

This is what it looks like today

server1 = current primary DPM with local files that needs to be backed up
    server2 = secondary DPM server backing up server1

Is the only option for me to uninstall DPM on my current primary DPM server. Then install DPM on a new server that will become the primary DPM server. Then configure the new DPM server to backup the files on the "old primary" server?

I.e. it would look like this

server1 = no longer DPM server. Just having the DPM agent installed on to it
    server2 = still the secondary server but now backing up server3
    server3 = new primary DPM server only backing up other servers and no local files

I would really appreciate your help on this one.

// Erik

Friday, October 22, 2010 8:18 AM
  • Hey Erik,

Here are my 2 cents:

1. No, there are not.  But remember that you need to install an agent from DPM2 to DPM1

2. Just that you can't protect Exchange 2010 DAG with the primary / secondary protection.  This is by design.  There are other / better ways to protect a dag with multiple DPM servers.

3. If you create a large PG with all resources, then the retention etc... will be the same for all protected data.  If you create smaller PG's, then you will have other retention possibilities etc... So it is all up to the business need per protected workload.  Not really a best practice, it's better to aim at your business requirements.

For your issue: (Post 2) You need to enumerate the PG's on the secondary to get the protected workloads on your primary and then select them like that so that he knows it is secondary.  You can't protect the primary (or other servers) directly because then you get that owner error

Cheers,

Mike

Visit System Center User Group Belgium @ http://scug.be and http://scug.be/blogs/scdpm
    Saturday, October 30, 2010 9:31 AM
  • Hi Eric,

i would suggest on you as mike said simply, backup your local data from your primary server using the server it self first then using the secondary DPM server backup the PG containing the Loacl data located on the primary server

for more simplefication

Local Data On DPM1 >>> backed up to PG local on the DPM1 >>>> backed up to PG created on DPM2

i think that will fullfil your needs

Regards

Thursday, December 30, 2010 1:46 PM