none
Clarification on Migrating DPM hardware RRS feed

• Question

• We are planning to migrate DPM2010 to a new server with new storage, but I have a few detailed questions based on some of the help that I've found in these forums.  We will be presenting the storage from the old server (SAN attached) to the new server.  So, the new server will be able to see both old and new storage at the same time.  I've referenced these articles:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dataprotectionmanager/thread/a71d8416-ca0b-44f8-918f-ddd06b19697b

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd282970.aspx

http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com/2010/10/migratedatasourcedatafromdpmps1.html

1)   I have read that the new server must have the same name and IP address as the old server.  If the old server is a member of the domain, must the new server also be a member of the domain as well for DPM to work properly? i.e. Can the new server have the same name and only be in a workgroup?

2)   I have read that using MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM command in powershell will allow you to migrate protection groups to the new storage.  From what I can tell, it appears that it is necessary to keep the old storage available until all recovery points have passed their retention period.  Is there any way to migrate ALL of the data over to the new storage so I don't have to wait for the retention period?  We would really like to re-use the old storage ASAP, but retention on our PGs is 62 days.

Thanks in advance for any insight that you may have.

Monday, February 7, 2011 10:05 PM

Answers

• HI,

Q1)   I have read that the new server must have the same name and IP address as the old server.  If the old server is a member of the domain, must the new server also be a member of the domain as well for DPM to work properly? i.e. Can the new server have the same name and only be in a workgroup?

A1) DPM can only work if joined to a domain, so the correct procedure would be to make copy of DPMDB on old server and copy it to a network share, then shutdown the old DPM Server.  Install Windows 2008 on the NEW server using the same machine name and join it to the same domain, thus replacing the original server.  Turn off automount (mountvol.exe /N) so we don't assign drives to the volumes when you attach the old storage and import the dynamic disk. Finally install DPM 2010 and restore the old DPM server DB. You need  to copy it from the network share to the local server before restoring using dpmsync.

Q2)   I have read that using MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM command in powershell will allow you to migrate protection groups to the new storage.  From what I can tell, it appears that it is necessary to keep the old storage available until all recovery points have passed their retention period.  Is there any way to migrate ALL of the data over to the new storage so I don't have to wait for the retention period?  We would really like to re-use the old storage ASAP, but retention on our PGs is 62 days.

A2) If you really don't want to retain the recovery points so you can remove the OLD storage and reuse it, then just change the retention range of all your PG's to 1 day.  After two days, all the volumes should show as being deleted on the OLD storage and all the new RP's will be solely on the new storage.  

NOTE:  if you want to get 10 days good RP on the new storage before removing old storage, change retention range to 10 days, and after 11 days, the old storage should be free.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, February 7, 2011 11:41 PM
  • Hi,

We cannot migrate the recovery points, the snapshots are only good for the original replica. This is because they are block level pieces of changed data and is only mapped to the original replica volume.  When you use the migration script, DPM makes new replica and recovery point volumes on the new storage, then does a flat copy of the files in the old replica to the new replica.  Snapshots cannot be copied as they are not related to the new replica.  That is why you need to wait for the old recovery points to expire.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 5:25 PM

All replies

• HI,

Q1)   I have read that the new server must have the same name and IP address as the old server.  If the old server is a member of the domain, must the new server also be a member of the domain as well for DPM to work properly? i.e. Can the new server have the same name and only be in a workgroup?

A1) DPM can only work if joined to a domain, so the correct procedure would be to make copy of DPMDB on old server and copy it to a network share, then shutdown the old DPM Server.  Install Windows 2008 on the NEW server using the same machine name and join it to the same domain, thus replacing the original server.  Turn off automount (mountvol.exe /N) so we don't assign drives to the volumes when you attach the old storage and import the dynamic disk. Finally install DPM 2010 and restore the old DPM server DB. You need  to copy it from the network share to the local server before restoring using dpmsync.

Q2)   I have read that using MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM command in powershell will allow you to migrate protection groups to the new storage.  From what I can tell, it appears that it is necessary to keep the old storage available until all recovery points have passed their retention period.  Is there any way to migrate ALL of the data over to the new storage so I don't have to wait for the retention period?  We would really like to re-use the old storage ASAP, but retention on our PGs is 62 days.

A2) If you really don't want to retain the recovery points so you can remove the OLD storage and reuse it, then just change the retention range of all your PG's to 1 day.  After two days, all the volumes should show as being deleted on the OLD storage and all the new RP's will be solely on the new storage.  

NOTE:  if you want to get 10 days good RP on the new storage before removing old storage, change retention range to 10 days, and after 11 days, the old storage should be free.

Monday, February 7, 2011 11:41 PM
  • Thank you for the quick and helpful response.

Let's say that we would like to keep all 62 restore points.  Is it possible to migrate that data to the new storage sooner than 62 days?  Or Are we required to "wait it out" until the retention period passes based on the retention policy?

I'm just checking to see if there is a way to keep all restore points AND get off of the "old" storage at the same time.  Unfortunately, we have another business need for that LUN on the SAN, and I'm trying not to hold up the next project.

Tuesday, February 8, 2011 1:53 PM
  • Hi,

We cannot migrate the recovery points, the snapshots are only good for the original replica. This is because they are block level pieces of changed data and is only mapped to the original replica volume.  When you use the migration script, DPM makes new replica and recovery point volumes on the new storage, then does a flat copy of the files in the old replica to the new replica.  Snapshots cannot be copied as they are not related to the new replica.  That is why you need to wait for the old recovery points to expire.

Tuesday, February 8, 2011 5:25 PM