none
Steadystate as a boot up option ? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi all,

I'm a volunteer for ADRA and my job is to maintain about 40 computers, about half of which are used for free computer classes. As you can imagine they get messy often. I'm considering software such as steadystate as a means to keep the basic system and program settings stable. I was wondering if its possable to run steadystate recovery as a boot up option.

For example,

When a computer boots up it can be presented with the following options.

-------------------------------------
    1. Start Windows XP (Default)
    2. Run Steaystate

5 second delay.
    -------------------------------------

If option 1 is selected or 5 seconds elapses, the system loads windows xp.
    If option 2 is selected steadystate runs automatically.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
    Monday, December 7, 2009 6:25 AM

All replies

• Thank you for the feedback.

I just wonder what if administrators do not want shared users to start Windows SteadyState and prevent changes to it? Shared users can use the power button to shut down the computer and boot into option 2 and start Windows SteadyState.
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 9:09 AM
  • I use Steady State nearly 6 Month for our Job Cafes, Internet Cafes for poor people with no PC and try to find a Job. Thats about 20 Clients on 4 different Locations. To receive Virus Scaner updates I decided not to use Hard Disk protection only to lock the user accounts. I made 3 accounts, one for Admin to control Stady State settings, one for the members of staff with network rights to save some Documents and one for the visitors with no right to save any where except CD/DVD or USB-Stick.
    After the start we have some Problems with temporary Internet files that blocked the visitor account but after restriction in the Internet Explorer don´t use temporary files and cookies it Works well.

Not to use Hard Disk protection seams to be the reason for an boot option but if you see it works also with another way.  
    Friday, December 11, 2009 8:28 AM