none
Win 10 rollback deleted cmos in bios RRS feed

• Question

• HP Pavilion p7-1380t CTO Deskt

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I am having a problem with this computer not wanting to boot at all, not even bios post or HP logo will show on screen.

Computer was upgrade to win 10 from win 7 and video graphics were very unstable making it almost useless so finally got win 10 to revert back to win 7 and this seemed to be fully successful after the final reboot into win 7.Documents, programs and all seemed to be ok .

Windows 7 showed 17 important updates available and wanted to reboot so we let it.

It seemed to install 9 of the updates and then locked up, waited for 24 hours and still stuck with black screen, no errors and still powered on.

So forced a shutdown by holding power button and after a minute turned back on with power button.

Now all fans turn on but computer never enters bios to start up ,

Nothing on screen, keyboard and mouse not seen , no beep sounds.

Seems like cmos bios is not working at all.

Tried taking out cmos Battery, Cannot find how to clear cmos to defaults that matches this Motherboard. MB is H-Joshua-H61-uATX (Joshua).

Jumpers show 6 pins in this MB on Hp web site and mine has 7 with one blank and no numbers near pins.

I tried several positions for the jumper and each time this has failed to recover or reset the cmos.

Not sure what to try from here?????

Can anyone help?

Added info,

I do not see how changing OS and going back could affect the cmos bios on this machine, but definitely this seems to be a cmos motherboard problem as on power up all fans start but none of the attached devices, monitor, keyboard, HDD, USB or Optical drive start or are recognized .So I cannot even boot to another device at all.

I am stumped!!

More:

I checked the 3 volt battery and it is showing 3.08 volts.

I also checked the power supply with a Thermotake psu tester and all voltages show up green= test OK.

I took out HDD, and Optical drive, and monitor, and keyboard and tested them on a known good running windows desktop pc and all worked fine.

The lights on the keyboard should flash on BIOS post but do not as does the optical not run on boot, thus eliminating a boot to a rescue disk or install disk. Same with the USB ports.

The HDD was slaved to another PC and fully readable and looks like the winOS7 is there. I removed the data to another drive while I had it out, just to assure a data backup.

I checked all connectors, to motherboard and devices. I removed the cmos battery for 10 minutes , moved the cmos reset jumper to several possible settings and after each check tried a boot up with no changes.

After the restore to win7 and final boot of the OS I checked and all seemed to be running fine on win7 until I started a reboot after an apparent fail of an install of windows updates on win7 .

From that time on I get nothing but fans running, no HP logo, bios post, keyboard recognition, system beeps, F keys no responce to enter setup, ECT.

This is only a two year old computer that showed no signs of problems prior to the win10 upgrade.

Sorry this post is so long but rather than answer a lot of questions I thought best to give plenty of info first.

Thanks in advance for any help you or others may offer.

John Sterner

Tuesday, September 1, 2015 9:29 PM

Answers

• Thanks again for the confirmation.

I had helped several friends with the win 10 update when they got stuck and failed but was always successful in getting them back to the original OS but this one just had me stumped . I guess mostly because this is a little less than 2 yrs. old and working well before the upgrade.

I am looking into getting a new motherboard for this one.

Thanks again for the replies.

John

John Sterner

• Marked as answer by JohnBoyJR Thursday, September 3, 2015 3:15 PM
    Thursday, September 3, 2015 3:15 PM

All replies

• On Tue, 1 Sep 2015 21:29:31 +0000, JohnBoyJR wrote:

I do not see how changing OS and going back could affect the cmos bios on this machine

It can't. It would appear that something on your motherboard has failed and
    the fact that it occurred when it did is simply a bad coincidence.

Paul Adare - FIM CM MVP

• Marked as answer by JohnBoyJR Wednesday, September 2, 2015 2:24 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by JohnBoyJR Wednesday, September 2, 2015 2:24 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Tripredacus Wednesday, September 2, 2015 4:45 PM
    Wednesday, September 2, 2015 5:45 AM
  • Thanks for
    the reply Paul.<o:p></o:p>

I agree with you as I have never heard of an OS change, changing anything that would
    affect the cmos.<o:p></o:p>

I do not have a way to test the motherboard and I do not even know if the cmos bios can
    be reloaded or how to attempt that.<o:p></o:p>

Guess the only solution would be to replace the motherboard , assuming the CPU is still
    OK ,and see what happens.<o:p></o:p>

I wanted to post this just in case others may have had this occur and  I overlooked
    something.<o:p></o:p>

Very much appreciate being able to bounce these problems off other more experience ears
    on the forum, so thanks again for replying to my rambling post.<o:p></o:p>

John<o:p></o:p>

John Sterner

Wednesday, September 2, 2015 2:27 PM
  • Your post indicates the computer was working properly until you forced a power off using the power button.
    Wednesday, September 2, 2015 4:45 PM
  • Tripredacus,

Yes I did force a power off using the power button after windows update installed 9 of 17 updates and then hung up for over 24 hours with no way to shut down than that.

I left it for that long as I know you should not power off during windows updates but it obviously had hung up completely. Don't know what caused that.

Still that should not have affected the cmos bios should it?

Thank,

John

John Sterner

Wednesday, September 2, 2015 5:36 PM
  • It would not. At worst, your Windows OS would be corrupted but the computer harware should still function properly.
    Thursday, September 3, 2015 2:54 PM
  • Thanks again for the confirmation.

I had helped several friends with the win 10 update when they got stuck and failed but was always successful in getting them back to the original OS but this one just had me stumped . I guess mostly because this is a little less than 2 yrs. old and working well before the upgrade.

I am looking into getting a new motherboard for this one.

Thanks again for the replies.

John

John Sterner

• Marked as answer by JohnBoyJR Thursday, September 3, 2015 3:15 PM
    Thursday, September 3, 2015 3:15 PM
  • I have a computer shop and we are seeing this situation quite frequently in the last 6 weeks. We actually have the exact model that John Sterner has with the same problem. The Client did the Win 10 upgrade that failed. The motherboard failed when trying the previous build restore option. Never got video after that. Our customers all describe the same failure when trying to go back to the previous O/S. Seen it in Dells and Hp's.   Curious to see how this unfolds.
    • Edited by RTZ6885 Wednesday, October 7, 2015 8:28 PM
    Wednesday, October 7, 2015 8:28 PM
  • RTZ6885,

Sorry to hear about your failure too, but glad I am not alone in this problem. I suspected there were others who may have had this happen. Talked to many IT techs since this happened and still no one knows how this can happen, as it should not , but learned of others who have suffered a similar fate from this FREE Gift...

I am looking to replace the motherboard, but not sure what to buy to replace it with, as kinda low in funds right now and no warranty on this bricked one.

Pleas let me know if you find out any info that might help.

Good luck, John

John Sterner

Wednesday, October 7, 2015 10:26 PM
  • While it's doubtful there will be an option on your board (retail prebuilt systems from companies skimp on bios tweaking and board recovery) but maybe any jumpers by the bios that might switch from bios A to B for recovery?
     This is HP's support doc for clearing CMOS....

http://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c03135925

• Edited by PeterMc Wednesday, October 7, 2015 11:27 PM
    Wednesday, October 7, 2015 11:24 PM
  • Hi John I have got the same problem on my HP Pavilion p6 2364ea

I upgraded to the free windows 10 offer and all seemed to go well , then one day the computer froze so i tried a ctrl alt del to get to task manager and nothing hapened so I just restarted the pc . then the next day i was asked to upgrade my adobe flash and that wouldn't update so I tried a windows update and the pc just sat there for 3 hours without even finding the update screen . I decided to go back to windows 8.1 so did a recovery . all semed good until I got a mesage that just said something has gone wrong try again or cancel so I hit try again and thats when it all went wrong. the monitor just went black with no input from the pc, no keys worked on the keyboard so I left it till the next day as it was, when I looked at it the next day nothing had changed so I did as you forced a shut down. and since then all I get when I turn on the pc is the 2 fans running and an initall spin of the dvd drive. I have had my pc looked at by a friend who works on computers and he said there is nothing he can do to it , looks like you  need a new motherboard. as you I have tried removing the bios batery moved the jumper to every posible combanation and nothing works . the pc is only just over 2 years old and I dont want to go down the new motherboard rought as I was told it might be the either the cpu or motherboard, looks like it might be cheaper to just buy a new pc than risk getting a new motherboard and cpu.... there must be a way of resetting the bios to factory settings but I have tried everything..

someone out there must know of a fix for this , if so please help us

thanks

neil

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 8:26 PM
  • Neil,

Looks like yours is an identical problem to mine.

My computer is stil sitting in the basement waiting to see if I can find a MB for it cheep enough to justify fixing it.

I am hanging on to it also hoping someone sees this problem and finds a fix or workaround to get it running again , as it appears many others have suffered from accepting "the free lunch" offered by Microsoft.

Hoping someone finds a way to fix this and share with us.

Good luck Neil!

John Sterner

John Sterner

Saturday, November 21, 2015 4:15 PM
  • I also had pretty much the identical problem with an HP computer i3-3220 Joshua motherboard. The computer had already been updated to and was running Win10 and one of the cumulative updates would not install with a message about some file problem and scheduled a disk check on boot up. The discheck seemed to freeze at 10% and after a few hours I trird to reboot  and the computer was dead - at least there was no video at all not even the HP startup logo. What is wierd is the Windows startup music would play. So the computer had some life but no video at all. The video ran off the motherboard so I tried a video card from another computer and still no video. Seems like the video on the motherboard is bad but there is no way to make it use an add in video card.

It may be coincidencebut it seems like several people have had the same or similar problems. I might just scarp the computer and keep the memory, power supply and hard drive for parts.  

Sunday, December 20, 2015 5:12 AM
  • I have an HP s5-1414 that has the same issue. I came up with an error (didn't get it wrote down and stated it needed to restart). Now all I have is fans running and a black screen. Pulled the memory and did a BIOS beep test. Got 5 beeps, saying the processor is bad. Not sure yet that is the problem. It's the i3-2130 with the same motherboard. I pulled the processor and looked it over. Stuck it back in and the error came up for a second and it went to restart. Back to the black screen. Hope someone finds a solution.
    Friday, January 8, 2016 1:10 PM
  • Not sure how old these systems are, but I have seen Windows 7 systems suffer from "Capacitor Plague" Inspect the motherboard very carefully, I've seen failed systems that only had one capacitor that had leaked, (although we replaced all the caps of that brand on that motherboard, some of them may have been out of spec, but not showing physical changes yet.)

I suspect it's also possible that some windows 7 systems are suffering from capacitor failures not specifically related to the "Capacitor Plague" incident (wikipedia says affected caps were manufactured between 1999 and 2007) simply because mid-range PC's ($600-$800 USD for the tower only) from as much as 5 years ago, and high-end PC's ($1000-$1200 and up) from as much as 6-7 years ago, are still operating and capable of handling windows 10, (Most only needing a RAM upgrade to run it well)

Inspect the motherboard carefully for bulging, or leaking capacitors. If you find any, Assuming you're no longer under warranty, replacing them may be an option, and you may be able to find someone who will replace them for a minimal fee as well, (try looking for repair shops that repair xbox "Red Ring of Death")

One of the two recent computers I've done a cap replacement on did present initially, with video display issues, although in that case, adding a PCIe graphics card DID clear up the problem. there were three bulging caps right next to the CPU, and after replacing the caps, onboard video worked fine again. I therefore assumed that the failed caps were regulating the voltage to the Intel graphics portion of the CPU. The other bad cap computer had one bad cap, right next to where the aux 12v connector for the CPU was located on the motherboard. That second computer was a Dell, but exhibited similar symptoms, to the OP a condition I normally document as "Powers up, doesn't POST."

• Proposed as answer by tbm48813 Friday, March 4, 2016 1:09 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by tbm48813 Friday, March 4, 2016 1:09 AM
    Monday, January 11, 2016 8:03 PM
  • I have the same motherboard, same symptoms.  Windows 10 upgrade fried it.  I know this post is old but maybe somebody will see this.  This is what I have to say about it.  People are saying that a Windows 10 install can't break a computer but they are wrong.  

The reason is because this bios is UEFI.  Windows 10 will modify the UEFI with the secureboot information.  It appears that upgrading to Windows 10 corrupted UEFI on this motherboard and rendered this thing a brick.  The only solution would be to re-image the UEFI bios to factory again or restore it somehow.  Unfortunately I wouldn't have a clue on how to do that with it in its bricked state.

I just wanted to point out it isn't just you, and there is a legitimate issue with this motherboard, UEFI and a failed Windows 10 install.  This particular one had ESET on it prior to the upgrade and there is an issue with Windows 10 and ESET, so the upgrade failed.  

I am in the process of trying to use the recovery UEFI bios to get somewhere but it isn't going well but I will update this thread if I find a solution.  I know you no longer have the machine most likely, but it may help someone in the future.

Friday, March 4, 2016 1:15 AM
  • I have to add another 2 cases to this thread. I am currently looking at an HP Pavilion P6 desktop with a Joshua motherboard AND an Asus with a M2N-MX SE motherboard. Both have the same problem as above - no BIOS beep, fans running and nothing else.. The BIOS will beep if the RAM is removed but after replacement there are no beeps. The Asus PS/2 keyboard gives the 3 flashing LEDs on startup and is then dead. There is definitely no capacitor issue on either of these boards. The HP was being rolled back to Win7 from Win10 at time of failure and the Asus was being updated from Vista to Win7. BIOS resets have been done on both PCs with no change.I have done identical checks to those in John Sterner's original post. Any update will be much appreciated.
    Friday, March 4, 2016 11:19 AM
  • interesting conincidence: there were similar problems with Samsung notebooks not too long ago:

Booting Linux instead of Windows 8 bricks some Samsung laptops

which were also due to UEFI incompatibility.

And here are postings in the HP forum with problems after Windows 10 upgrade / downgrade

Possible bios recovery problem?

• Edited by EckiS Friday, March 4, 2016 12:23 PM
    • Proposed as answer by CapWinder Tuesday, April 5, 2016 9:39 PM
    Friday, March 4, 2016 12:08 PM
  • I have one of these computers and the win 10 upgrade destroyed the computer. The machine was right in the middle of the upgrade and then BAM, would not even post. This is Microsoft's fault and a class action lawsuit should be brought against them. So not only is win 10 spyware and overall garbage, it has made useless thousands upon thousands of computers that were working just fine with win 7. As soon as I hear about a class action lawsuit, I will join it! I suggest you do also.
    Tuesday, April 5, 2016 9:46 PM
  • In the case of the Samsung - Linux incompatibility problem, it was clearly a problem of the faulty uefi implementation in the Samsung notebooks, so you should not be too fast with laying the blame on Microsoft.

Didi you contact HP?

Wednesday, April 6, 2016 4:44 PM
  • Add me to the list of people who've seen this issue. On my workbench I have an HP Pavilion P7-1415 desktop with H-Joshua-H61-uATX motherboard which will no longer boot after a failed Windows 10 upgrade. Power lights come on and the fans run, but there's no video out, the keyboard is unresponsive, and there are no POST codes. Although Microsoft's Windows 10 pushiness brought this on, I agree with EckiS that the fault lies with HP. It should never have been possible for software to hose the MB BIOS so completely.
    Wednesday, May 4, 2016 1:26 PM
  • I am seeing the same situation on my In-laws computer.  HP P7-1380T with the H-Joshua-H61-uATX motherboard. They attempted to rollback from an automatic W10 upgrade back to W7.  Then something went wrong and now it only powers on.  No video, not sure if the USB ports are working.  I'd hate to buy a whole new HP motherboard at around $200 for a refurbished unit to fix this problem.  I'm considering trying an aftermarket uATX or MicroATX board that I might be able to slap into the existing case.  If not, I'll just buy a new case and motherboard, and swap out the rest of the parts.  Either way, this should have never happened.  Curious if anyone has found a solution yet.  This clearly isn't a coincidence.
    Thursday, May 26, 2016 7:43 PM
  • Ran into the same problem with p7-1380t upgrading to Win 10. Had issues with USB ports and resarted. IT worked fine at first. Then ran windows updates and now it's dead. Would love to hear if anyone has a fix for this.
    Saturday, July 9, 2016 6:07 PM
  • No solution as yet!!!

many computers have died from this and mine si still dead and in the garage as I cannot find a MOBO for it and do not want the same one as it may happen again.

Do not know why there has not been any suggestion from Microsoft or HP as by now they are surly aware of this.

Other than replacing the MOBO I can not find any solutions.

John Sterner

Sunday, July 10, 2016 2:36 PM
  • Seriously?  When plunking win 10 rollback deleted CMOS in BIOS the only 2 hits that come up are your 3 threads.  Roll back cannot touch BIOS, it is simply a coincidence.  Hardly "many computers"

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag Windows IT-PRO (MS-MVP)

Sunday, July 10, 2016 2:59 PM
  • I hate to bring up an old thread. I just had the same issue
    HP S5 - 1515, i3, onboard video,  going from windows 8.1 to windows 10

I received a notification on my desktop to upgrade to windows 10.
    After clicking ok the computer rebooted itself, downloaded windows 10 and successfully landed to the windows 10 home screen.

A few minutes into using windows 10 the screen froze, so I waited for about 10 minutes.
    The fans started to make noise, things started to get hot,10 minutes, still frozen, so i held down the power button. Waited 5 minutes, tried to boot again. Computer turns on, black screen.

Thats the last time I saw the HP logo. Black screen of doom... The fans spin up, the light turns on the front, no beep (there's usually a beep), nothing on the monitor. Black Screen, Won't boot

To sum it up I think upgrading to windows 10 was a bad move, the upgrade somehow either cleared the uefi cmos, or toasted the onboard graphics card just from the install...

Now who's paying for this....?

Friday, July 15, 2016 4:46 PM
  • Posted by Admin.

Notebooksquad website.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Team:

I quick note about Windows 10 from what I found out recently.

I haven’t upgraded, cause I’m skeptical.

Seems the whole idea is about windows getting rid of the old platforms for just 1.

But the bugs and problems are still huge.

In some of my research here is what I found. Could be wrong, as I am still digging in this.

Windows 10 has to compromise a few things to accomplish running even on old laptops, desktops, and devices.
    It takes control of the bios and Video card drivers. In fact pretty much all drivers have to pass a special mesh built into windows 10.
    Even the NB(PCH APU, MCH), or SB, and KBC all reside now in the windows 10 fabric software.
    Mainly for older machines to be compatible..

If you have iCore CPU and even AMD won’t matter, as those are not needed for the mesh.

Your old bios is no longer accessible in windows 10, as it resides now in a kernel software like mode windows 10 gets to play with, and tweak it to its likings.
    Even your EDID data is crunched in a weird way to get monitors to run well.

The problem is, now many Motherboards, and LCD panels are piling up with corrupted EDID’s and Bioses. Even GPU bioses.
    Some are bricked forever. Mainly those with dual bioses.

Easily search on the web for “Windows 10 Bios corruption”

For now, I wouldn’t consider ever to upgrade to 10 just yet.
    Need to see what else pops up on the horizon for 10 users.

Thursday, July 28, 2016 10:47 PM
  • I suggest

power down machine

remove battery

remove hard disk

remove and reinstall cmos battery

reinstall battery

reset cmos to default

try to boot back into bios setup without hd installed

this would isolate any and all os software on the hd

Friday, July 29, 2016 12:49 AM
  • Bios Reset?

You will need to hold power button down for 1 minute to complete this task you mentioned..

And all power, Coin Battery, and Adapters have to be removed only.

HDD doesn't have any memory backed up without power.

And a newer system may not boot without HDD, like Lenovos.

As security is also stored on the HDD for the bios boot process to complete.

--------------------------------------------------------------

From the 100's of motherboards I have repaired. Desktop, AIO, and Laptops.

It won't work.

The only hope anyone has is to do below.

You will need to remove the bios chip, and back it up.

You can buy the programmer on eBay for under $15. Like the EZP2013 model. (Basically a TL866 in disguise)

Then obtain a new bios downlaod from Dell, Toshiba, etc.

Extract it with FIT tool, or DMI, or UNIEXTRACT

Place a clean ME region, and add serial if need be or leave 000000 as ssn. And program the bios direct.

And pray you won't have a HDD code or EUFI bios concerns.

Reboot and install Win7 back.

And cross your finger when you attempt a Win10 upgrade.

And that is if your lucky.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a huge pile of Core i7 boards, I get free and fix the bios from Win10 upgrades, and sell the boards for $200 and up. CPU included. Some at $1000 for Alienware and Asus

As I mentioned before. Win10 needs to take that Bios out of the older systems and some newer ones. Recompile it, and make it a flavor it likes to play with. Then reinstall it, and yet keep a piece of it in its own Mesh or Fabric to use and manipulate. If that Mesh gets distorted any bit. Its goodbye motherboard. Until a new Bios is installed. And that is hoping the LCD panel didn't loose it EDID data bios as well. Even the KBC, or Keyboard controller looses its bios as well to Win10. So of the 3 known bioses that exist in a laptop. Main, EC, and EDID. Not including some laptops have 2 bioses for Main. You loose them all to Win10's design and setup and run systems.

If you think about it. How else will Microsoft be able to offer Win10 on every machine since Windows XP. All they need is control of the bios. Mimic a few things and run. All that is in hopes every goes as planned in the upgrade. LOL! We know better!

Friday, July 29, 2016 1:35 AM
  • Just wanted to say that I have the same issue, same motherboard. Wanted to reset my computer back to factory settings and at first the machine just rebooted and i got an error message from windows, tried again and my bios is now bricked. Cmos reset, removing battery didnt help. Fans spinning, lights on, no video.

Thank you Microsoft, will have to spend money on a new motherboard now.

Monday, August 15, 2016 1:33 PM
  • Thanks for the post! So many Still believe that the win 10 upgrade will not damage the motherboard. We still see the damage in our shop on certain machine types. There is a problem with the win 10 upgrade altering the system bios. Also have a stack of Win 10 damaged boards!
    Friday, September 23, 2016 4:23 PM
  • Add me to the list, HP Pavilion p7-1380t CTO Desktop PC, trying to update to 10, Windows reports a problem and tries to roll back.  The computer is never heard from again.  No beeps.  No video.  Just spinning fans.
    Tuesday, February 7, 2017 3:32 PM
  • I too have this problem on 2 HP PC's both S5-1414 with the Joshua H61 motherboard. Has anyone found the solution? I have removed CMOS battery and reset the CMOS several times. This is not hardware failre as as soon as Windows 10 went on to both machines and updated itself then this problem occurred.

Sunday, November 19, 2017 1:33 AM
  • Did you read the postings on the HP forum? There was a bios update for this problem, at least for some affected boards: (see the last pages of the thread)

Possible bios recovery problem?

Sunday, November 19, 2017 5:47 AM