none
Migrate IMAP to Exchange 2007

Question

• There used to be a great Migration tool that was included with Exchange 2003, but I haven't found anything like this yet for Exchange 2007?  I did a lot of installs with Exchange 2003 where I was converting people from UW and Cyrus IMAP to Exchange. 

This tool was a lifesaver for me with Exchange 2003, but are there plans for anything like this for 2007?  Without this tool, i can't even feasibly move more people to Exchange 2007.  I would have to keep using 2003 in production environments which seems like a poor choice considering the amount of work involved in Transitioning from 2003 --> 2007.

Please help anybody...

Or someone from Microsoft let me know if you have any plans of making a tool like this?

Thank you.
    Tuesday, January 16, 2007 6:00 PM

All replies

• In Exchange Server 2007 EMC you can more easily to migrate mailbox from exchange 2003.Additionally,you also can use powershell cmdlet to do that.

More information please reference article below:

Exchange 2007 migration overview

How to Move a Mailbox Within a Single Forest

Wednesday, January 17, 2007 2:00 AM
  • Did you even read the question I asked? I know how to Transition/Migrate from E2k3 to E2k7.  I'm inquiring about migrating from IMAP to Exchange 2007.  Does anybody have any knowledge on this topic? Thank you.
    Wednesday, January 17, 2007 9:44 AM
  • I must be misunderstanding your question
    Wednesday, January 17, 2007 1:52 PM
  • I think you think that I'm moving from an Exchange 2003 server to Exchange 2007, but I'm referring to a Migration from primarily Cyrus IMAP to Exchange 2007.

It's a scenario that I haven't seen documented anywhere yet.
    Wednesday, January 17, 2007 6:31 PM
  • I can't believe that after a couple of weeks nobody has had any experience with this yet.  I'm going to install Exchange 2003 in a VM today and see if I can use that method to create PST files at least from IMAP accounts.  I can't believe their is no migration tools with the RTM of Exchange.  Not everyone who is looking to get on the Exchange bandwagon has it yet.
    Friday, January 26, 2007 1:19 PM
  • Aaron, where you able to come up with a native 2007 solution or are you installing a exch2003 server to facilitate the migration from sendmail(IMAP) to exch?
    Thursday, March 01, 2007 1:28 AM
  • We are desperately trying to find a solution for moving from an IMAP server to Exchange 2007.

We know one solution is to use the Exchange migration tool in 2003 to migrate IMAP mail into Exchange 2003 and then convert to Exchange 2007.. BUT  we already installed Exchange 2007 on our domain and are concerned about uninstalling it, installing Exchange 2003 and then upgrade to Exchange 2007 on our Domain. We are worried what this might do to our AD!!..

So again: We are desperately trying to find a solution for moving from an IMAP server to Exchange 2007

If someone has a method for doing so, even if in powershell please post asap!!!  thanks

Thursday, March 15, 2007 8:50 PM
  •  

Thank you for the suggestion, we have grudgingly considered this an option. However we will be moving around 250 users and doing them this way will be very painful. We cannot assume our users will do this correctly themselves, so our IT staff will have to do each one individually. Fortunatly, at least, we can assign mailbox permissions from the IT side to open up exchange mailboxes with out logging in and out or setting up different Outlook profiles, but still very time consuming.

A true migration tool is what I need.
    Wednesday, March 28, 2007 1:23 PM
  • If you are looking to just migrate mail/contacts and do not require coexistance  there are several other options available for you, you should look into IMAPsync, or Transend.
    Wednesday, March 28, 2007 1:44 PM
  • Yep looked at IMAPSync.. if I remember correctly it requires me to have the user's password from the IMAP server and the password for the IMAP on exchange. We are using an IMAP server that allows us to at least define the source user's password(with out affecting the Active directory passthrough authentication), but with Exchange we do not know the destination user's password. Now, we could change all 250 of the users' passwords for this transition, but we rather not incur that headache.

I am aware of Transend. I am, of course, hesitant to pay $3000 for a 250 user pack, only to find a week later that Microsoft ends up releasing a new version of the Exchange 2003 migration tool, or someone posts to this forum a code solution.

This forum is kind of one of my last ditch efforts before having to give in to a less desirable route.

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 2:14 PM
  • IMapsync is your best"lowcost" option, you can programatically change all imap source users passwords before migration( this also prevents them from accessing their old mailbox and ensures they are now using the new environment.  on the exchange side you can assign one user rights to recieve as and send as on the mailbox store as described below

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa996343.aspx

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 3:23 PM
  •  

An update to my last post -

We have sucessfully moved all of our Microsoft Exchange 2007 from our MailEnable IMAP source.

We did not use IMAPSync and required no password changes on the end user side.

We moved our mail directly from IMAP into an Exchange mailbox . (Essentially just like old Exchange 2003 Migration tool)

We successfully transferred nearly half a million emails from 250 users.

We did it at more than half the cost of Transcend.

We did it in a weekend.

Anyone interested in the newly built  program we used to do it?

Thursday, May 31, 2007 4:14 PM
  • Yes! Is it home made ?
    Friday, June 01, 2007 12:00 PM
  •  

DAXCON Engineering, Inc. worked together with a Contracted Programmer from a company called TNT Dynamite solutions,  to develop this software. They are investigating if it may be something worthwhile to make distributable, and utimately sell for a reasonable price.

If you are anything like I was when I was attempting to find a less expensive solution to go directly to Exchange 2007 from IMAP (with out going to Exchange 2003 first or using IMAPSync) then I can see why anyone would be interested in it.

Friday, June 01, 2007 2:23 PM
  • Thanks.
    Friday, June 01, 2007 2:40 PM
  • Hello,

I have interest at this Tool. Can you communicate to me whether that Tool is available?
    I nned that Tool asap.

best regards
    Wednesday, June 06, 2007 11:58 AM
  • Would love to get hold of this tool too, let me know where and how I could have a play with it? Or even get it?

Cheers

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 1:15 AM
  • Hi!

It sounds exactly what I need too. Can you tell some detailed information please?

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 1:52 PM
  •  

For all those interested: please contact

Travis at dynamite.solutions@gmail.com

He is the developer of this code.

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 6:50 PM
  • Can you do it from Cyrus?
    Thursday, June 14, 2007 5:50 PM
  • This is insane.  I am in the position of moving from Communigate Pro to Exchange.  If I google this, I will find 1 post about moving from Communigate to Exchange and that post has no responses or suggestions.  I will find 10 more posts that tell me why I should move from Exchange to Communigate.  The cool thing about those posts is that the makers of Communigate WANT you to switch and make it easy to convert.  How hard would it be to have built in tools to do this?
    Wednesday, June 20, 2007 7:11 PM
  • I would be terribly interested in this.....how could i find out more? 

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 4:34 PM
  • I am in the same boat, If this tool is till available , I really would like to get my hands on it , I did send an email off to the address , but didnt get any response ? we are using sendmail (IMAP4) and migrating to Excahnge 2007 ... Any info on getting a hold of this tool would be more than apreciated Smile.....
    Thursday, October 04, 2007 6:44 PM
  • Hi Hpub,

is it possible that you can send me the way of the migration. and can you tell me the name of Migration Tool. I heard that is possible to migrate imap mailboxes to exchange 2007 with the SP2 from Exchange 2007.

thanks Inge

Friday, October 05, 2007 9:00 AM
  •  

I am interested in how you accomplished this migration. Please send me the details.

Thanks

Tuesday, October 09, 2007 5:38 PM
  • The only tip I can offer that is different than what other people have is specific to Communigate.  It really only helps in allowing the two mail servers to work side by side without messing the other one up.

On the Communigate server, there is a section on each domain that deals with unknown names.  Fill it out as I have shown below and it will send all mail that is addressed to an unknown name to your new mail server.  This really helps if you are going to have to use both servers for a while as I did.    

Unknown Names

Consult External Authenticator:

Mail to Unknown Names is:

Signals to Unknown Names are:

The text in the "Mail to Unknown Names" is actually:

*%domain.com@newmailserver.domain.com.via

As far as the Exchange server goes, I think I set my accepted email domain up as an internal relay until I eliminated the Communigate server.  (This may not have been necessary, but I don't remember.)  I also set up a special send connector that would send all email that was addressed to anyone@mydomain.com through the Communigate server. 

I don't know if this is the best way to do it, but it worked like a champ for me and I didn't have problems with losing email or a clunky migration. 

John

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 4:11 PM
  • Yes, how did you do it.

Friday, October 19, 2007 7:26 PM
  • Hpub,

can you send me info how you've done it. Thank you.

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 3:12 PM
  • Yes, I can't seem to get it to work... I've tried it twice and this is all I can get after 45 minutes each try:

Summary: 1 item(s). 1 succeeded, 0 failed.
    Elapsed time: 00:00:47

USER@DOMAINNAME.com
    Completed

Warning:
    SSL Certificate Error(s) are found and ignored.
    Error source: E=admin@DOMAINNAME.com, CN=mail.DOMAINNAME.com, O=ORGANIZATION, L=CITY, S=STATE, C=US
    Subject DN: E=admin@DOMAINNAME.com, CN=mail.DOMAINNAME.com, O=ORGANIZATION, L=CITY, S=STATE, C=US
    Serial number: 00E748E04A0D91B4BD
    Effective from: 8/23/2007 11:31:34 PM
    Expires on: 8/22/2008 11:31:34 PM
    Certificate issuer: E=admin@DOMAINNAME.com, CN=mail.DOMAINNAME.com, O=ORGANIZATION, L=CITY, S=STATE, C=US

A certificate chain processed, but terminated in a root certificate which is not trusted by the trust provider.

Warning:
    SSL Certificate Error(s) are found and ignored.
    Error source: https://exchange.DOMAINNAME.com/ews/exchange.asmx
    Subject DN: CN=mail.DOMAINNAME.com, OU=Limestone networks, O=ORGANIZATION, L=CITY, S=STATE, C=US
    Serial number: 61326156000000000003
    Effective from: 12/5/2007 6:17:35 PM
    Expires on: 12/4/2009 6:17:35 PM
    Certificate issuer: CN=mail.DOMAINNAME.com, DC=DOMAINCONTROLER, DC=com

Warning:
    Encountered a SoapException for the probable EWS URL (https://exchange.DOMAINNAME.com/ews/exchange.asmx).
     Please validate the EWS configurations.
    Error details:
    ErrorImpersonationDenied
    The server to which the application is connected cannot impersonate the requested user due to insufficient permission.

Warning:
    Encountered a SoapException for the probable EWS URL (http://exchange.DOMAINNAME.com/ews/exchange.asmx).
     Please validate the EWS configurations.
    Error details:
    ErrorImpersonationDenied
    The server to which the application is connected cannot impersonate the requested user due to insufficient permission.

Thursday, February 28, 2008 7:51 PM
  • Josh,
    Would you turn me onto this tool, that did the IMAP move for you?  I am looking to do exactly the same migration as you and am having issues with IMAP to Exchange 2007 migrations.

Greg
    Tuesday, March 04, 2008 3:52 PM
  • Tried this against Groupwise IMAP and it's mostly working. One issue with large mails detailed in this thread. If anyone can help with that please let me know.

Tuesday, March 04, 2008 3:56 PM
  • Ok...

Use the following for migrations:

IMAP to Exchange 2003 - Exchange Migration Wizard (built into Exchange 2003)

IMAP to Exchange 2007 - Transporter Suite (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=35fc4205-792b-4306-8e4b-0de9cce72172&displaylang=en)

Both are FREE.

Both are SIMPLE.

Confusias, read the following post

https://msmvps.com/blogs/andersonpatricio/archive/2008/02/04/microsoft-transporter-suite-for-internet-mailboxes-configuring-exchange-impersonate-permission-in-exchange-server-2007.aspx

Consider your problem fixed.

Don't pay some developer, don't waste your time scripting, just use the tools above. Period.

Tuesday, March 04, 2008 3:59 PM
  • Hi, I am in a similar situation as yours.would you please let me know which tool you used to do the migration.
    Monday, March 17, 2008 7:26 AM
  • Please try to see the hilarity in my post, as I was pretty sure I couldn't make it any clearer and the original poster refuses to mark this question as answered for some strange reason...

Perhaps your migration platform is something other than IMAP to Exchange 2003 or IMAP to Exchange 2007. If not, please read the post DIRECTLY above yours.

If it is, let us know what you are trying to migrate from. Like I mentioned twice now already in this topic, if you are migrating from IMAP to Exchange 2007, use the MICROSOFT TRANSPORTER SUITE. I am not even going to link it for the third time.

Wow.

Monday, March 17, 2008 12:55 PM
  • the latest version of Transporter Suite can migrate POP and IMAP mailboxes to Exchange 2007

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=35fc4205-792b-4306-8e4b-0de9cce72172&DisplayLang=en

Monday, March 17, 2008 5:26 PM
  • Hello;

i want to as something related to migration from sun messaging server to exchange 2007.

the overall migration process completed. with an issue that the personal address book for each user that stored on the SUN server cannot be migrated.

is ther any way to migrate the personal address book .

note; all folders in the sun migrated successfully without a problem.

the tool that used is MS transporter suite.

itried to edit the foldermap.xml file with no luck .

thas alot for every one

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 4:35 PM
  • According to a posting on the SUN forums, the only way to export the address book entries from the Sun Messaging backend is using LDAP, so sounds like you may have to export them from the client side or script up some magic to make ldif files for each user and then re-import them into the new clients...

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 5:40 PM
  • hi MattyMcFatty;

how are you ? hope you fine.

i want to ask for help, i want to export personal address book for one user from SUN to Exchange 2007 , i need the way to do then i will work to have script.

i dont know how to begin ? so i will not develop a script if i dont understand the process.

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 10:49 AM
  • Two things:

1. This forum / topic is not the place to ask that question. I think you would be better suited to posting that inquiry on the SUN forums...

2. I am not familiar with Sun Messaging at all. I merely used Google to answer your last post, but I am sure a little googling of your own will get you some results.

-M

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 12:17 PM
  • Hi, Could you please let me know which program you used?

I am trying to migrate from Qmail( Squirell Mail) on a linux machine to Exchange 2007 SP1.

Any help in this matter will be highly apprecited.

Thanks.......
    Thursday, March 20, 2008 7:15 AM
  • Hi,

I'm trying to migrate from qmail to... It seems to work but new folders are created in Inbox folder ( Drafts, Sent, Trash) and any messages in inbox folder from qmail are migrated... only sent items to this new folder "Sent" inside Inbox...

Anyone can help me??

Tks

Friday, March 28, 2008 3:19 PM
  • Yes, I'm interested in the program. We are a school district looking to move to Exchange 2007 from an IMAP source.

Any info would be useful.

Thanks,

Derek
    Wednesday, April 09, 2008 3:15 PM
  •  

yes we have a similart situation in our organization.

please provide me the detail of the same.

how you have migrated. with the help of which tools.

thanks in advance

Saturday, April 26, 2008 11:57 AM
  • Hi.

Do you have any knowledge about migration from Exchange 5..5 to Exchange 2007 with this tool? (MICROSOFT TRANSPORTER SUITE)

Thank you for your answer

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 1:51 AM
  •  

Unfortunatly the tool we developed for transferring email to Exchange has never been fully developed to use for other enviroments.  I think there was a new tool released with Exchange SP2?? May want to investigate that if you haven't already.
    Thursday, July 24, 2008 2:12 PM
  • I found no reference to Exchange Server 2007 SP2. Do you have any?

Thank you

Thursday, July 24, 2008 6:43 PM
  • I am interested in your program.  Could you please let me know more about it?
    Saturday, August 23, 2008 9:09 PM
  • We're going to be doing this same migration with about 250 mailboxes in 2 months, I've very interested in what you developed
    Tuesday, August 26, 2008 2:10 PM
  • You cannot possibly leave that string there! C'mon.... :-o

Thursday, October 30, 2008 5:00 PM
  • Hope this helps people.. kent.

Microsoft Transporter

Overview

Transporter Suite contains a set of tools for migrations from both Lotus Domino Servers, and generic IMAP/POP sources. For Lotus Domino the suite contains a set of tools for Directory and Free/Busy interoperability between Lotus Domino 6 or 7 and Exchange Server 2007 and Windows Server 2003 Active Directory. In addition for Lotus Domino the suite contains migration tools to migrate users, groups, personal address lists, mailboxes, personal mail archives, and applications from Lotus Domino 5, 6 or 7 to Active Directory, Exchange Server 2007, and Windows SharePoint Services 3.0. For generic POP/IMAP servers the suite contains a set of tools to bulk migrate mailboxes from any generic email servers that support the POP3 or IMAP4 protocol to mailboxes in Exchange Server 2007

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=35FC4205-792B-4306-8E4B-0DE9CCE72172&displaylang=en

Friday, November 07, 2008 12:16 AM
  • Microsoft Transporter

Overview
    Transporter Suite contains a set of tools for migrations from both Lotus Domino Servers, and generic IMAP/POP sources. For Lotus Domino the suite contains a set of tools for Directory and Free/Busy interoperability between Lotus Domino 6 or 7 and Exchange Server 2007 and Windows Server 2003 Active Directory. In addition for Lotus Domino the suite contains migration tools to migrate users, groups, personal address lists, mailboxes, personal mail archives, and applications from Lotus Domino 5, 6 or 7 to Active Directory, Exchange Server 2007, and Windows SharePoint Services 3.0. For generic POP/IMAP servers the suite contains a set of tools to bulk migrate mailboxes from any generic email servers that support the POP3 or IMAP4 protocol to mailboxes in Exchange Server 2007

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=35FC4205-792B-4306-8E4B-0DE9CCE72172&displaylang=en

Friday, November 07, 2008 12:21 AM