none
Scrolling Marquee for birthday wishes in sharepoint online

Question

•  I am new in sharepoint online and I would appreciate expert advice. I have an employee database in xlsx which has names & birthdays of all employees. 

I have developed a sharepoint intranet and want to display the birthdays of  the employees. For example the names of the employees whose birthday is today will be shown in scrolling marquee in birthday section.

Please help.

Friday, September 9, 2016 12:50 PM

All replies

• Create a SharePoint list and map all the values from excel to the list. Then, using oob webparts like content search web part or using custom jsom/csom logic try displaying the data on the portal.

Thanks.

Saturday, September 10, 2016 4:24 PM
  • Hi,

It’s more recommended to process list data than excel data in SharePoint and SharePoint online supports to load excel data into SharePoint list. Thus, I suggest you load excel data into list:

http://3sharp.com/blog/load-excel-data-into-a-sharepoint-2013-list-fast-and-easy/

There is no OOB way to display scroll marquee in SharePoint page, you need to achieve it by coding. The Content Editor web part in SharePoint is used to add HTML content in current page. You can add your custom script in page to display the scroll marquee.

A simple demo about creating a Scrolling Marque in SharePoint for your reference:

http://sharepointbyte.com/how-to-create-an-html-marquee-scrolling-text-in-sharepoint-2013/

Thanks,

Dean Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, September 12, 2016 12:05 PM
  • Many thanks to Dean Wang and Nakkeerann. I have managed to show marquee scrolling in Sharepoint O365. 

I want to display the birthdays  and work anniversary date wise of  the employees from database.  I have created 2 sections for "birthday wishes" and "Anniversary wishes". I could manage to populate the names yesterday but today it is showing the same names which was displayed yesterday.

I want to display the names of the employees whose birthday and work anniversary is today in scrolling marquee in birthday  and work anniversary section respectively. For tomorrow I should be able to display the names of those employees only whose birthday and work anniversary is tomorrow.

Can someone please help me. 

Sandipan Roy

Thursday, September 22, 2016 10:00 AM
  • Hi,

Did you display these by coding?

It seems that you need to debug your code to figure out the cause.

Thanks,

Dean Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Sunday, September 25, 2016 3:24 AM
  • Hi Dean 

Regarding my Intranet project in Sharepoint O365 I have been following your advice and could successfully display the birthday data in marquee which is fetched from the database.

When there are less number of birthdays ( say 2-3 birthdays) on a specific day , the scroll is working properly within the fixed height I have allocated for the birthday section.

But if the number of birthdays ( say 40-50 ) is there on a specific day the birthday section height is increasing automatically and it is scrolling.

I want to display in a marquee ( scroll from bottom to top) within a fixed height if I have 3-4 birthdays or if I have 40-50 birthdays in a specific day. The display height should be fixed irrespective of the numbers. 

Can you please help

Thanks

Sandipan  

Sandipan Roy

Saturday, October 1, 2016 2:19 PM