Why do I still get Security Updates when there is already Security and Quality updates? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

On my SCCM Software updates I receive Security updates, Security and Quality Updates and Security Monthly Quality updates.

I noticed two things and I would like to know if this is what I should expect.

1.  Word, Excel, Office has their own security updates.  I assume they are not included in the new bundled updates for example  Security and Quality Updates or Security Monthly Quality updates.  Is this correct?

2.  There are still some Security updates for Windows 2008 servers out while I also have Security and Quality Updates for Windows 2008.

I thought with the new Microsoft "Bundled updates" I won't receive any separate security updates anymore?  

Thursday, January 12, 2017 9:01 PM

Answers

• Hi SwissMiss,

>1.  Word, Excel, Office has their own security updates.  I assume they are not included in the new bundled updates for example  Security and Quality Updates or Security Monthly Quality updates.  Is this correct?

Yes, they are not included in monthly rollups. As far as I'm concerned, security and quality rollup are mainly for the system,  it do not include Microsoft Product updates.

>2.  There are still some Security updates for Windows 2008 servers out while I also have Security and Quality Updates for Windows 2008.

Do you mean .net monthly rollups, they are not included in security monthly rollup. You may check the following blog:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/windowsitpro/2016/10/07/more-on-windows-7-and-windows-8-1-servicing-changes/

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 13, 2017 5:47 AM

All replies

• Hi SwissMiss,

>1.  Word, Excel, Office has their own security updates.  I assume they are not included in the new bundled updates for example  Security and Quality Updates or Security Monthly Quality updates.  Is this correct?

Yes, they are not included in monthly rollups. As far as I'm concerned, security and quality rollup are mainly for the system,  it do not include Microsoft Product updates.

>2.  There are still some Security updates for Windows 2008 servers out while I also have Security and Quality Updates for Windows 2008.

Do you mean .net monthly rollups, they are not included in security monthly rollup. You may check the following blog:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/windowsitpro/2016/10/07/more-on-windows-7-and-windows-8-1-servicing-changes/

Best Regards,

Anne

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 13, 2017 5:47 AM
  • Hi,

Just to check if the above reply could be of help, if yes, you may mark useful reply as answer, if not, welcome to feedback.

Best Regards,

Anne

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 3:02 AM
  • Thanks Anne for the reminder!
    Wednesday, January 25, 2017 5:01 PM