Remote Desktop Connection from Windows 7 to Windows XP stopped working RRS feed

• Question

• We have one last Windows XP box we just can't get rid of yet. Our Windows 7 users have been using remote desktop for over a year to get to this box. This week the Windows XP system just stopped accepting connections from some of our Windows 7 boxes. External users are able to use Windows 7 systems (not part of our domain) to connect to the Windows XP box over VPN. Our internal Windows 7 users cannot connect. Our internal Windows 8 R2 boxes connect to the XP box just fine. I am guessing the Windows 7 boxes have a setting that is affecting the operation of the Remote Desktop, but we don't know of any recent changes (I would be the one to make them) so we are wondering if a recent patch or update might be the cause of the issue.

I have tried removing the certificate for the terminal services (Delete registry values) and have tried changing the encryption level to low. Neither has helped. The client provides the following error:

The RDP protocol component "DATA Encryption" detected an error in the protocol stream and has disconnected the client.

Has anyone seen this and figure out what the cause might be.

Thursday, June 20, 2013 5:03 PM

Answers

• No longer with that company... They will need to figure it out on their own...

• Marked as answer by Oldguard Friday, July 5, 2013 10:23 AM
    Friday, July 5, 2013 10:23 AM

All replies

• Check : http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/f07d7d4a-bccc-4c23-8bf3-c81d31937484/remote-desktop-suddenly-stopped-working-in-windows-7-connecting-from-windows-xp

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Saturday, June 22, 2013 5:03 PM
  • The solution was to upgrade the RDP client, but our RDP client is already updated on our Windows 7 systems which are connecting to Windows XP systems. Seems like the exact opposite. Maybe the new client is the issue? I will give that a try and see if uninstalling the new client fixes it.
    Monday, June 24, 2013 10:49 PM
  • Any success?

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, July 5, 2013 4:07 AM
  • No longer with that company... They will need to figure it out on their own...

• Marked as answer by Oldguard Friday, July 5, 2013 10:23 AM
    Friday, July 5, 2013 10:23 AM