Sizing an APP-V environment for 2000 users (300 user per Branch office) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello community,

we plan to implement APP-V together with Windows 7 enterprise. Alltogether with SCCM 2007 R2.

I have allready read the current sizing guide from MS - from my view it is less pratical and to much theoretical. Some examples from real live would be very helpfull in this guide. And also some explanations.

Nevertheless we plan to start with APP-V in a central location with GBit network up to the desktop. Round about 300 users are planned to use following apps via app-v:

• Adobe Reader
    • java runtime
    • MS Word, excel, powerpoint, outlook 2007 (or 2010)

Some will use

• Autocad
    • and one or two more DTP programs

The question is now:

How have the servers to be sized?

From my point of view i would install at least 1 Management Server and 1 SQL server in this location and every other Location where we plan to use APP-V.

For the Management server I am thinking about
    • a dual quadcore (8cores) with at least 2,5ghz per core.
    • At least 8GB memory
    • At least 1TB storage for the packages

For the SQL Server:

• At least a Quadcore with 2,5Ghz per core
    • At least 8GB memory
    • At lest 1TV storage for the database

Other locations will get their own APP-V server because our branch office connections are quite weak (~10Mbit).

What do you about this sizing strategy?

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 9:30 AM

Answers

• Hello,

There is a planning-section in the SCCM R2 / APP-v whitepaper which addresses the need for disk-space, which relates more to how many packages you will utilize than the number of users in your setup. Its a very good write-up.

Since you will use the SCCM R2 as infrastructure wether or not that will be enough will probably more dependt on other functions of the SCCM R2 system, such as OSD; patching, ESD, inventory cycles and much more.

Regardless you should have scaled the DB from the beginning, taking in consideration all your needs, including APP-V.

For more guides of a general setup of SCCM, please see this thread as it gives a more clear view of tools and guides available;
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/configmgrdocs/thread/556023d7-460f-468b-a8fc-9ec7298b02eb

Again, if you will use the SCCM R2 infrastructure as your delivery model, a management server and a DB for that will not be needed.

/Znack
    • Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, August 11, 2009 4:45 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Tuesday, February 14, 2012 5:17 AM
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 9:57 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Since you wish to utilize the SCCM R2 infrastructure you shouldn't have any need for a management server or a seperated SQL-server.

I would scale the SCCM R2 infrastructure to handle the additional load.

/Znack
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 9:35 AM
  • Yes.. You are right.

APP-V can be integrated in to SCCM 2007 R2.

Are there any experiences available in regards to the required DB and package storage for such sized environments?

Should a 8-core system with 8 GB of memory enough per location to handle SCCM / App-V? 
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 9:47 AM
  • Hello,

There is a planning-section in the SCCM R2 / APP-v whitepaper which addresses the need for disk-space, which relates more to how many packages you will utilize than the number of users in your setup. Its a very good write-up.

Since you will use the SCCM R2 as infrastructure wether or not that will be enough will probably more dependt on other functions of the SCCM R2 system, such as OSD; patching, ESD, inventory cycles and much more.

Regardless you should have scaled the DB from the beginning, taking in consideration all your needs, including APP-V.

For more guides of a general setup of SCCM, please see this thread as it gives a more clear view of tools and guides available;
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/configmgrdocs/thread/556023d7-460f-468b-a8fc-9ec7298b02eb

Again, if you will use the SCCM R2 infrastructure as your delivery model, a management server and a DB for that will not be needed.

/Znack
    • Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, August 11, 2009 4:45 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Tuesday, February 14, 2012 5:17 AM
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 9:57 AM
  • Hello,

There is a planning-section in the SCCM R2 / APP-v whitepaper which addresses the need for disk-space,....

On which whitepaper do you refer?
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 6:50 AM
  • Hello,
    Virtual Application Management with Microsoft Application Virtualization 4.5 and System Center Configuration Manager 2007 R2

That one
    /Znack
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 8:58 AM
  • Okay,

I have read the doc and must say regarding SCCM with APP-V integrarion this doc is helpfull. Alltough regarding memory and CPU sizing nothing new is contained.
    Regarding disk sizing only storage which is consumed by the SFT files is coverred, but its a good first step.

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 12:17 PM