none
Resource overallocation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a resource overallocation warning on the resource pool file, there's only one master file that connects to it, and it's clear that there's no use of that specific resource there. Is there a way Project can tell me which file is triggering that warning, or could it be a bug?

Thank you,

Ekin.

Friday, August 4, 2017 9:20 PM

Answers

• Ekin,

You mention two things that concern me, one is a resource pool and the other is a master. Why is that a concern? Because a resource pool/sharer is a linked structure and those are prone to corruption. I don't remember if we covered this before but here are the rules for linked structures in Project. None of the files in the structure can ever be renamed, moved, overwritten or "saved off" to another location. All files should be in a single folder on a local drive and not be operated over a network.

And if by "master" you mean a master with inserted subprojects, you have another linked structure so that increases the changes of corruption.

Just for reference, there are no "tasks" in the Resource Usage view. That view contains resources and assignments. The Task Usage view shows tasks and assignments.

So exactly what kind of file structure do you have? And what "lines" did you delete? How did you delete them? Did you save all files after the deletion?

Working with linked structures is not only a dice roll but can get complicated in a hurry if the user isn't thoroughly familiar with Project's nuances.

John

• Marked as answer by Maviriver Wednesday, August 9, 2017 4:00 PM
    Friday, August 4, 2017 11:14 PM

All replies

• After this, I viewed the master file in Resource Usage view, and saw that the overallocations are caused by the lines I previously deleted from the file. In other words, that tasks that show in resource usage view do not show on the Gantt chart view. I don't know how to fix this issue.

Friday, August 4, 2017 9:44 PM
  • Ekin,

You mention two things that concern me, one is a resource pool and the other is a master. Why is that a concern? Because a resource pool/sharer is a linked structure and those are prone to corruption. I don't remember if we covered this before but here are the rules for linked structures in Project. None of the files in the structure can ever be renamed, moved, overwritten or "saved off" to another location. All files should be in a single folder on a local drive and not be operated over a network.

And if by "master" you mean a master with inserted subprojects, you have another linked structure so that increases the changes of corruption.

Just for reference, there are no "tasks" in the Resource Usage view. That view contains resources and assignments. The Task Usage view shows tasks and assignments.

So exactly what kind of file structure do you have? And what "lines" did you delete? How did you delete them? Did you save all files after the deletion?

Working with linked structures is not only a dice roll but can get complicated in a hurry if the user isn't thoroughly familiar with Project's nuances.

John

• Marked as answer by Maviriver Wednesday, August 9, 2017 4:00 PM
    Friday, August 4, 2017 11:14 PM
  • What version of MS Project are you using and do you have Project Server as well?

Do you have resources that have tasks in more than one project file? Do you have any external links between two project files?

Sunday, August 6, 2017 11:21 AM