none
MSP Server 2010- Can users "dynamically" access data across multiple Categories using the RBS lookup table RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

It appears that using the RBS lookup table along with the Category "Project" filtering option "The Project Owner is a descendant of the User via RBS" does not allow users to access data across multiple Categories.  For example, our Categories represent different organizations.  We want users in Category A to dynamically see data from Category B and C, without having to use the Manage Permissions feature in PWA.  We currently use: "The Project Owner has the same RBS value as the User", which works well for allowing users of the same Category to see eachother's data.

Can users have access to multiple Categories without it having to be done manually in MS Project Server 2010?  If not, is this possible in MS Project Server 2013?

Thursday, May 22, 2014 3:13 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Either you have to create an "horizontal" category allowing the users having more visibility but you cannot control on which RBS branch.

Another way (simpler) is to add on demand the users in the specific project teams. Doing this, the user added will see the project in Project Pro or PWA, in read-only or read-write mode depending on his permissions.

Except that PS2013 introduces the SharePoint permission mode, the Project Server permission mode is pretty the same than PS2010.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

Thursday, May 22, 2014 3:42 PM
  • Thank you for the response.  Please, can you explain what "horizontal" category means?  Do you mean to just create another Category.  Let's say Category D and manually add a mixture of users from Category A, B, and C?

And if I understand the second statement correctly, this what we are doing now.  Manually adding users to the additional Categories, but they don't see future files created by users in the Category.

Thanks!

Thursday, May 22, 2014 4:41 PM
  • Hi,

By hizontal, I meant without (or less) RBS restrictions.

For the 2nd statement, I meant adding users directly in the MS Project file project team and not in a security category. Doing this, they will have access to the project plan and site.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

Thursday, May 22, 2014 4:53 PM
  • If you are using the default model, the Project Manager group has two categories, My Organization and My Projects. The My Organization category allows them to see all resources for addition to a project plan. The My Projects allows them to edit any owned projects.

NOTE: The Project Owner RBS descendant setting I typically only use for special categories that I create, which are associated to Executive/Portfolio Viewers groups. I don't typically use this with Project Manager related categories. What problem were you attempting to solve with the use of this setting?

What I gather is that they need to see a list of projects without being able to manage those projects. You can do this by doing the following.

• Create a new category
    • Associate it to the Project Manager group
    • Set the category permissions between Project Manager and this category to have the View rights for projects and project details only. Your decision if you need project sites as well.
    • Create custom filtered views for Project Center and Project. Associate them only to this new category since the category association determines the data the view receives.

Treb Gatte, Project MVP | @tgatte | http://AboutMSProject.com

Saturday, May 24, 2014 8:47 AM