duplicate icon display at win 7 logon screen RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,There are duplicate login icon appeared in the win 7 logon screen. No password manager, finger print and viewcam software installed. The issues was happened intermittently, sometime it will show only the last login user and other user in windows logon screen but sometimes it will showed duplicate set.

Please help me fix this issue. Thank you in advance.

Monday, April 28, 2014 4:15 AM

Answers

• 1. What did you before it started to happen?

2. Are there any traces in Event logs?

3. Make full check with AV program.

4. Try to start in Safe mode and go to previous restore point.

HTH

Milos

• Marked as answer by Michael_LS Tuesday, May 6, 2014 3:16 AM
    Monday, April 28, 2014 7:39 AM

All replies

• 1. What did you before it started to happen?

2. Are there any traces in Event logs?

3. Make full check with AV program.

4. Try to start in Safe mode and go to previous restore point.

HTH

Milos

• Marked as answer by Michael_LS Tuesday, May 6, 2014 3:16 AM
    Monday, April 28, 2014 7:39 AM
  • We had this issue as well. In our case the fix was to use regedit to delete a registry key located here:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\Credential Providers

Specifically, I noted that this identical key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\Credential Providers\{25CA8579-1BD8-469c-B9FC-6AC45A161C18}

{Data: PanCredProv}

Appeared under both Credential Providers and a Credential Provider Filters

Deleting the whole key located under Credential Providers while leaving the key located under Credential Provider Filters fixed the duplicate Windows 7 user icon issue.

By chance, I discovered this fix after I had read the following article about Credential providers, though in our case, the problem and solution was different than the issue covered here:

http://www.howtogeek.com/64927/cleanup-your-windows-7-login-screen-and-remove-unwanted-logon-items/

Wednesday, July 2, 2014 9:22 PM