KERNELBASE.dll Issues with sequenced applications RRS feed

• Question

• Has anyone has KernelBase.dll issues when launching a sequenced application using APPV 5.0 on a windows 64BIT machine. I have successfully sequenced KeePass which has a similar error but different solution. Event log error is below:

Faulting application name: AdminConsole.exe, version: 4.4.0.20787, time stamp: 0x51014c9c
    Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18229, time stamp: 0x51fb1677
    Exception code: 0xe0434352
    Fault offset: 0x000000000000940d
    Faulting process id: 0xc70
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cf2e3e7e8fe4b1
    Faulting application path: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\AppV\Client\Integration\D1BBD72C-C579-41C4-B97D-158160B38D1F\Root\AdminConsole.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll
    Report Id: c3dc352e-9a31-11e3-accd-0050568113db

UObi

Thursday, February 20, 2014 2:59 PM

Answers

• Hello,

1. Follow best practice when Sequencing (no idea if you did...)

2. Make sure you sequenced it with the latest available version of App-V sequencer, and then deploy it to the latest available version of the app-v client (no idea if you did this...)

3. Make sure you sequencer matches yout target OS in terms of operating system, operating system architecture and everything that is installed (apart from the app-v client / sequencer)

4. Check with the vendor of the software of this is a known error.

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Monday, February 24, 2014 9:11 PM

All replies

• Hello,

First guess; You do not have all the prerequisites for the application setup

Saturday, February 22, 2014 10:18 AM
  • HiUObi,

this error comes up since KeePass version 18 on my sequencer too.

Workaround:

Do not launch KeePass in sequencer after install.
    Edit KeePass.exe.config in notepad and enhance startup tag with following code:
    <startup useLegacyV2RuntimeActivationPolicy="true">
    After that you can launch KeePass in the sequencer to disable updates or set language packs
    First launch may take some time.

/vkleinerde

Monday, February 24, 2014 9:26 AM
  • Vkleinerde,

Thanks for coming back to me. I have sequenced KeePass successfully with the workaround last year. The application I am working on is ADP_HR.net_3.0 and the Keepass workaround does not work for this application.

UObi

Monday, February 24, 2014 9:48 AM
  • Hello,

All prereqs for the application are on the machine. This is the first thing that is covered when sequencing or packaging an application. The issue is not a prereq issue

UObi

Monday, February 24, 2014 9:49 AM
  • Hello,

1. Follow best practice when Sequencing (no idea if you did...)

2. Make sure you sequenced it with the latest available version of App-V sequencer, and then deploy it to the latest available version of the app-v client (no idea if you did this...)

3. Make sure you sequencer matches yout target OS in terms of operating system, operating system architecture and everything that is installed (apart from the app-v client / sequencer)

4. Check with the vendor of the software of this is a known error.

Monday, February 24, 2014 9:11 PM
  • Hello,

Thanks for you response but I was expecting more high level responses to this issue. Asking me if I have followed sequencing best practices is almost like asking a packager if he/she knowa how to use Orca to edit a windows installer file.

I have found out that the application is a .Net application and needs to pointed to the correct CLR at startup. I have done this by adding the startup tag in the exe.config file of the binary in question. It now points to the correct CLR (in this case .NET 2.0) but I am still getting the issue.

UObi

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 9:36 AM
  • Hello,

Unfortunately I just base the suggestions on my own steps for identifying issues. As you hadn't shared anything about your steps, it meant that I had to start from the beginning - which yes, it does cover the basics.

I hope you sort it out ! If you want further suggestions, perhaps you can share what you have done so far to avoid receiving suggestions for things you already tried?

Saturday, March 1, 2014 9:37 AM