none
task duration = total project duration RRS feed

• Question

• is there any task that will display a task as ongoing until the project completes.

I have 4 sub tasks that happen daily throughout the total length of the project, therefore there is no actual fixed duration period or date. They are not milestones or summary tasks.

I would like MS Project to automatically calculate the duration of the tasks based on what ever the total project duration is and not have to adjust the duration manually.

* I have tried building a Hammock Task however the function is removed when I try to save as a project template.
    Monday, December 12, 2011 12:47 AM

Answers

• Manage,

There are basically two ways to create the type of task you want. One is via a hammock task but as you found out, you cannot save a file with OLE links as a template file. The other method is to create virtual hammock task using VBA. It could be set up to run on the Open or Close Events so it will update whenever the file, template or other, is opened or closed, or it could just be a macro you run on command.

The Project Summary Task is exactly what you need but I assume you want to be able to assign resources to this "total project length" task (maybe it's a project management task).

If you designate task ID 1 as the management task, the following macro will update the task to start at the project start and extend the full length of the project.

Sub MgmtTsk()

Dim MT As Task

Set MT = ActiveProject.Tasks(1)

MT.Start = ActiveProject.ProjectStart

MT.Duration = Application.DateDifference(MT.Start, ActiveProject.ProjectFinish)

End Sub

Hope this helps.
    John

Monday, December 12, 2011 2:12 AM