mdt imaging and licensing windows 7 ultimate RRS feed

• Question

• I understand that if you bought computers with windows 7 pro OEM, you can use mdt to reimage those computers as long as you purchased 1 volume license of windows 7 pro and use the media from the volume license as the source for imaging.  Please correct me if I am wrong on this point as it is essential to the problem I am facing.

I have 50+ computers that we purchased with windows 7 ultimate OEM.  Since there is no Volume license for windows 7 ultimate, we would be required to purchase 50+ windows 7 pro volume licenses in order to legally use mdt to reimage.  Is this Microsoft's position?  Why would microsoft want around $190 to allow users that bought the cheaper version of windows (7 pro) to use mdt legally, but want $190 X (the number of computers) to allow users that bought a more expensive version of windows (7 ultimate) to do the same thing?

Tuesday, September 3, 2013 7:50 PM

All replies

• Do you have VL for Windows 7 Enterprise? Because Enterprise and Ultimate are virtually the same.

-Nick O.

Tuesday, September 3, 2013 8:06 PM
  • MDT Does not care what the OS SKU type is. It can deploy Pro, Enterprise, Ultimate, even starter.

What makes you think you can't re-image the machines with Ultimate again? Take the Ultimate Image from the hidden recovery partition, modify as you wish and re-deploy. You will of course need to re-enter the Product Key again. (I wonder if you can use a tool like ProduKey).

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

• Proposed as answer by Keith GarnerMVP Wednesday, September 4, 2013 5:17 AM
    Wednesday, September 4, 2013 5:17 AM
  • No.  we bought the computers from dell with 7 ultimate OEM.  

Seth Klinefelter

Thursday, September 5, 2013 8:24 PM
  • It is not a question of CAN, but a question of ALLOWED.  There is no legal way to re-image windows 7 Ultimate.

Seth Klinefelter

Thursday, September 5, 2013 8:25 PM
  • to be more specific about why i am not allowed to re-image, please read https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CDMQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdownload.microsoft.com%2Fdownload%2F3%2FD%2F4%2F3D42BDC2-6725-4B29-B75A-A5B04179958B%2FREIMAGING.DOCX&ei=mPUoUr6XEObB4AOe_4CYDQ&usg=AFQjCNEOyUlLbmcn_nnuyn5MiMdO9rFSTA&sig2=Do5c9jOtpMFBgNhPX6rIeg&bvm=bv.51773540,d.dmg.

Seth Klinefelter

Thursday, September 5, 2013 9:22 PM
  • It is not a question of CAN, but a question of ALLOWED.  There is no legal way to re-image windows 7 Ultimate.

well, if you use the OEM-provided recovery methods, that's the simplest way (admittedly may not be the most efficent way)

the term "reimaging" is (I have always believed) rather vague. the MS reimaging_rights_for_VL.doc is also rather vague. if you are comfortable exploiting that gray area (another way of putting it: seek forgiveness not permission), as many others are comfortable, then just do it.

MS tend to assume a bunch of things, and when we ask them curly questions, they have a look about them which suggests "why would you ever want to do it that way?" (this has been my persoanl experience with MS staff here in Australia)

e.g. MS think if you sign up for a VL agreement, why wouldn't you immediately roll out everything you just bought and throw away everything you had before? (this is a gross assumption)
    in your example, MS would not be able to comprehend why you would want to re-apply the Win7ULT OEM image at all.

Last, if you're looking for any kind of official response from MS here, on licensing-related or use-rights-related topics, prepare for disappointment.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Thursday, September 5, 2013 9:39 PM
  • I wouldn't care if i had to switch to enterprise (which has the same feature set), but to force us into purchasing a huge number of licenses in order to rebuild because we bought a more expensive version and they chose not to address the version is a bit ridiculous.  

By the way, I am not really expecting an MS to fix it.  i know that the mere end user or it guy at the end of the chain is not their priority, but i could not find anything about this issue on the internet and i was hoping that someone here may have figured out how to keep their company out of hot water while using the tools that MS gives us.

Seth Klinefelter

Friday, September 6, 2013 1:31 PM