none
I can't tell if project professional is activated! RRS feed

• Question

• i had a trial version installed of project prof 2010 32bit on my machine.  i bought a retail copy and installed the software.  at the top right  of the file - help screen, it shows product activated.  right below it is a button that says activate product; this product will become unlicensed in 25 days.  i have uninstalled and reinstalled with the same results.

when i try to activate the the "activate product" button, it fails.  

when i open the proj professional it does not say trial; rather project1-microsoft project and there is no warning message telling me that it will unlicense.  the only way i know something is "up" is by looking on the help tab and seeing both activated and need to activate.

how do i know if the product is truly activated?  Thanks in advance!

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 4:36 PM

Answers

• i worked with microsoft and we resolved it.  this was a case of two keys - one was indeed activated the other was a trial that did not work and would not delete upon uninstalling.  here's what the tech did - ran a diagnostic script that identified the last xxxxx digits of the activated key and the trial key.  we then went to cmd.exe and ran a command line prompt to uninstall the key.  don't quote me but it was in the program files (x86)\microsoft office14 directory.  we typed cscript the file path to opps.vs /unpkey:xxxxx  (where xxxxx was the product key last digits identified above).  it uninstalled the bad product key.  when we reopened project, it was perfect!

smhapp

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 7:34 PM

All replies

• Tuesday, May 1, 2012 5:29 PM
  • thanks for the link.  however i have followed the process and i still cant tell if it has activated - see attached

smhapp

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 5:36 PM
  • thanks for the link.  however i have followed the process and i still cant tell if it has activated - see attached

smhapp

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 5:36 PM
  • Is it possible to change computer's date and see what happens ?
    Tuesday, May 1, 2012 5:49 PM
  • i'll try that...it still opens and seems to work.  but, it says there is an activation problem.  what typically happens when the activation date has elapsed?  does the software stop working?

smhapp

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 5:54 PM
  • In FAQ doc, it says: Be sure to activate the Project Professional 2010 Trial within 30 days to avoid defaulting to “viewer mode” – a mode that disables document editing. (http://www.microsoft.com/project/en-us/project-desktop-faqs.aspx)

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 6:05 PM
  • Can you try it through Control Panel (by selecting Project 2010 and then clicking Change button) ?
    Tuesday, May 1, 2012 6:26 PM
  • with the forwarded date (activation expired) i can still edit and save documents.

smhapp

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 6:37 PM
  • i did not uninstall.  instead i went to control panel, project 2010, change, added product key.  still the same screens under file help when i open project.  i think the product may be activated based on the expired functionality but i'm not sure.  still seeing the red expired activation button

smhapp

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 6:39 PM
  • It is fine if you do not experience anything wrong with the functionality.

In a similar situation, I would do uninstall it, reboot, clean the registry using a tool like ccleaner,  reboot again, reinstall the product and follow the regular procedure to activate it.

Sorry, I can't offer any further solution to the issue other than calling the product support at this point.

Regards.

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 6:51 PM
  • i tried as you suggested and it is still showing the activation issue.  will call product support

smhapp

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 10:31 PM
  • I am sorry that it did not work. I hope you fix it soon. Please post again for feedback on your progress.

Good luck & Regards.

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 10:41 PM
  • i worked with microsoft and we resolved it.  this was a case of two keys - one was indeed activated the other was a trial that did not work and would not delete upon uninstalling.  here's what the tech did - ran a diagnostic script that identified the last xxxxx digits of the activated key and the trial key.  we then went to cmd.exe and ran a command line prompt to uninstall the key.  don't quote me but it was in the program files (x86)\microsoft office14 directory.  we typed cscript the file path to opps.vs /unpkey:xxxxx  (where xxxxx was the product key last digits identified above).  it uninstalled the bad product key.  when we reopened project, it was perfect!

smhapp

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 7:34 PM
  • Hello smhapp,

I am very glad to hear that the issue was resolved. And thanks a lot for the feedback. You can mark your final post as "answer" to close the topic.

Regards.

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 8:16 PM