none
How to inherit predecessor's length RRS feed

• Question

• I'd like to create task's that length is the same as the predecessor's and it's beginning and end time is also the same. I tried to create a begin-begin and end-end connection but it doesnt let me to create more than 1 connection to the same task. Can you recommend a solution to do this?

Thanks in advance,
    Soma

• Changed type NándorSoma Wednesday, October 29, 2014 12:03 PM
    Wednesday, October 29, 2014 11:50 AM

Answers

• Hi,

You could create "hammock" tasks. But do not create too many of them, it can become confusing and bring corruption.

Here is the procedure:

• http://www.mpug.com/forums/topic/how-to-create-a-task-that-automatically-spans-the-entire-project-duration/
    • http://www.mpug.com/articles/ask-the-experts-hammock-tasks/

PS: switch this thread as a question instead of a discussion.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

• Marked as answer by NándorSoma Wednesday, October 29, 2014 1:46 PM
    Wednesday, October 29, 2014 11:56 AM
  • Hi,

I think the easiest way to manage that is to have a 'Start' milestone as a child of your Pavement Construction and the rest of the children to be dependent on this 'Start' milestone. This way when you want to change the 'Pavement Construction' start date, you can simple adjust the 'Start' milestone start date which will also update the 'parent' and all the children

and the duration can be manually adjusted for the children tasks

Hope this helps

Paul

• Edited by PaulMarinescu Wednesday, October 29, 2014 12:53 PM
    • Marked as answer by NándorSoma Wednesday, October 29, 2014 1:16 PM
    Wednesday, October 29, 2014 12:52 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You could create "hammock" tasks. But do not create too many of them, it can become confusing and bring corruption.

Here is the procedure:

• http://www.mpug.com/forums/topic/how-to-create-a-task-that-automatically-spans-the-entire-project-duration/
    • http://www.mpug.com/articles/ask-the-experts-hammock-tasks/

PS: switch this thread as a question instead of a discussion.

Hope this helps,

• Marked as answer by NándorSoma Wednesday, October 29, 2014 1:46 PM
    Wednesday, October 29, 2014 11:56 AM
  • Hi,

First, than you for your reply. Maybe I misunderstand these guides but as I see they describes how to create hammock task between 2 other tasks. What I need is to exactly copy the length and the start-finish date of 1 task. Maybe its easier to describe my problem if I make an example.

At our company sometimes 1 task consist of several other task that I want to distinguish from each other. For example there's the task Pavement Construction. There are "childs" like Technical Inspection, Quality Assurance and Administration. Their start and finish date should be the same of the Pavement Construction and - of course - depends just on this task.

I hope I didn't misunderstand the guides that you've linked but they are not giving a solution to this problem.

PS: switched the thread type. Sorry :)

• Edited by NándorSoma Wednesday, October 29, 2014 12:30 PM
    Wednesday, October 29, 2014 12:29 PM
  • Hi,

You could reuse the hammock task principle doing copy dates from the pavment task then paste special to the child tasks dates. That would work.

That being said, I'd rather suggest to create start-to-start relationship and to set the same duration to all the tasks. Multiplying copy-paste special could cause confusion and corruption.

Hope this helps,

Wednesday, October 29, 2014 12:50 PM
  • Hi,

I think the easiest way to manage that is to have a 'Start' milestone as a child of your Pavement Construction and the rest of the children to be dependent on this 'Start' milestone. This way when you want to change the 'Pavement Construction' start date, you can simple adjust the 'Start' milestone start date which will also update the 'parent' and all the children

and the duration can be manually adjusted for the children tasks

Hope this helps

Paul

• Edited by PaulMarinescu Wednesday, October 29, 2014 12:53 PM
    • Marked as answer by NándorSoma Wednesday, October 29, 2014 1:16 PM
    Wednesday, October 29, 2014 12:52 PM
  • Thank you all for your replies. I'll do this way however I'd be more satisfied with a "row saving" method but I can't change the system if it wants to works like that. :)

Thanks again for the really fast help!

Wednesday, October 29, 2014 1:22 PM