How Can I Password Protect a Shared Folder RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello.  I have a shared folder on our server (Windows Server 03) that I would like to password protect.  Is there a way to do that?  If I cannot password protect the whole folder, is there a way to password protect a folder inside of that shared folder? 

Thanks for your help.

Monday, October 20, 2008 6:34 PM

Answers

• I believe what you want to do is use your active directory users and computers groups to set permissions on this shared folder. Those who are not in a group that has access to this share will get a "access denied" error.  The users that do have permissions will either have access to it if they are a part of the domain or will need to enter username/password to gain access.
    You can go to the shared folder, right click on it, select properties, use the SHARED and SECURITY tabs to set the local and shared permissions on the folder. If you have more folders inside this one, you can also set permissions on those.

Some things to look up would be:
    active directory users and groups
    setting windows shared permissions

Take a look at this for starters

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727040.aspx

There may be 3rd party prodcuts that allows you to set a password on that one folder, but this is how you should do it!

Hope it helps
    Monday, October 20, 2008 8:12 PM

All replies

• I believe what you want to do is use your active directory users and computers groups to set permissions on this shared folder. Those who are not in a group that has access to this share will get a "access denied" error.  The users that do have permissions will either have access to it if they are a part of the domain or will need to enter username/password to gain access.
    You can go to the shared folder, right click on it, select properties, use the SHARED and SECURITY tabs to set the local and shared permissions on the folder. If you have more folders inside this one, you can also set permissions on those.

Some things to look up would be:
    active directory users and groups
    setting windows shared permissions

Take a look at this for starters

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727040.aspx

There may be 3rd party prodcuts that allows you to set a password on that one folder, but this is how you should do it!

Hope it helps
    Monday, October 20, 2008 8:12 PM
  • Thank you for your reply.  I am not very familiar with setting up rights and groups within the Active Directory.  I have created a group in the Active directory, but i'm not sure what to do next.  Every computer in our office has administrative rights to their computer.  Does that effect what I am wanting to do?    Can you recommend a 3rd part software that would allow me to do this?  I have found various ones online, but will not simply let me put a password on the folder.  I don't need to hide or encrypt the folder.  I just want everyomne to be asked for a passwrod when trying to open the folder.  This is so frustrating!  I appreciate your help.

Thanks!

Friday, October 24, 2008 8:08 PM
  • I also need to Password Protect one folder on my shared drive. This seems to be a common need but not such a simple answer.  Surely MicroSoft Windows 7 has this capability.  Where is it that the settings are changed to require a password to gain access to a folder?
    Monday, July 11, 2011 7:33 PM