none
Date and Cost formats in export toward Excel (2013) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to export Start date and Cost of my project tasks to Excel: File/Save as/ Excel Workbook...

but all these date and cost data arrive in Excel with Text format. With the 2003 version, date and cost formats were well recognized.

I'm using Project 2013 English and Excel 2013 English on a French Win 7.

What are the settings (decimal separator...) which are needed to allow this feature ?

Thanks

Saturday, March 21, 2015 2:24 PM

Answers

• Are you able to change the date format directly - is it formatted as a date on export?

The only thing I see different is that I exported the Scheduled Start field from Project - not the Start field

• Marked as answer by WLID1966 Sunday, March 22, 2015 8:20 PM
    Sunday, March 22, 2015 5:32 PM

All replies

• Hi WLID1966,

I don't think it is anything you are doing.  I just tried to export the Task Name, Total Cost, and Scheduled start from Project 2013 to Excel 2013.  They arrive as text in my export as well.

The Cost data shows a green triangle in the upper left corner with an error message "Number stored as text."  There is an option in the drop down "Convert to Number".  You can select the entire column and convert the cost to numbers.

For the dates, in the next column over enter the formula =DateValue(Cell reference).  That will convert the date text to the date serial number.  Format as long or short date as needed and fill down.

I hope this helps.

Julie

Saturday, March 21, 2015 8:55 PM
  • Hi Julie,

Thanks for your help.

The "Convert to Number" feature works fine for the Cost.

But the dates arrive as text with a long format such as "03 August 2015 08:00" and the  =DateValue(Cell reference) function returns an error : #VALUE!

Any idea to retrieve the dates?

Thanks again

Sunday, March 22, 2015 11:32 AM
  • Did you replace the "cell reference" with the actual cell reference in Excel?  For example:

=DateValue(C5)

Sunday, March 22, 2015 3:18 PM
  • Of course :-)

Sunday, March 22, 2015 3:56 PM
  • Are you able to change the date format directly - is it formatted as a date on export?

The only thing I see different is that I exported the Scheduled Start field from Project - not the Start field

• Marked as answer by WLID1966 Sunday, March 22, 2015 8:20 PM
    Sunday, March 22, 2015 5:32 PM
  • No, I'm not able to change the date format directly for Start_Date: that's inert text.

But the Scheduled Start field arrives in XL directly with a date format ! Strange !

Small issue: Scheduled Start is specific to Manual Scheduling that I never use...
    • Edited by WLID1966 Sunday, March 22, 2015 6:04 PM
    Sunday, March 22, 2015 5:59 PM
  • For autoscheduled tasks Scheduled Start = Start - so you should be all set.  See:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Scheduled-Start-task-field-51fb5b59-bbe6-477c-9b8f-fa7c35ad2807

Sunday, March 22, 2015 7:22 PM