get-mailboxstatistics shows a working user as disabled???? RRS feed

• Question

• I have an existing user (John Smith) who has never shown up in one of my scripts, at first I shrugged it off, since everything they do works just fine. So today I got bored and did some playing, and what I discovered kinda has me stumped.

This is the powershell code I run to show the info I want, now keep in mind that only ONE user, John Smith, doesn't show up in the list that this  produces.

get-mailboxstatistics -server myserver | where {$_.ObjectClass –eq “Mailbox” -and $_.Lastlogontime -gt $null -and $_.DisplayName -eq "john Smith"}| Sort-Object LastLogonTime -descending | Select LastLogonTime, LastLogoffTime, LastLoggedOnUserAccount | Convertto-html -head $a |out-file "C:\MailInfo.html" 

Obviously, John Smith does not show up in my script because he has a different ObjectClass..So I changed the code to show all info..

get-mailboxstatistics -server myserver | Convertto-html -head $a |out-file "C:\MailInfo.html" 

And low and behold,,, John Smith has an Objectclass of "Mailbox, UserDisabled".  Now thats kinda weird, why whould this user say "UserDisabled"? when they work?, they can use OWA, Outlook, OAB, OOB, Login to the domain..this user works just like all the rest.

Active Directory Users and Computers doesnt show anything out of the ordinary, the user is enabled, Exchange 2010 says all is well.

So whats going on here? and more importantly, how do I change this so my scripts work??  :P

Server = Windows 2008 R2 with Exchange 2010 and all are patched and current.

Thursday, March 10, 2011 7:51 PM

All replies

• bump,,, aawww anyone???
    Friday, March 11, 2011 5:58 PM
  • Hi MrTechie,

If you run the Get-MailboxStatistics with a room mailbox, you will see the Objectclass of "Mailbox, UserDisabled".

Please run the cmdlet Get-MailboxStatistics "John Smith" | fl and post the results here.

Is this a single forest with a single Exchange Organization?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 8:40 AM
  • Hi MrTechie,

Any updates?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 4:24 AM
  • Sorry for the delay, This is what I see.. I changed the real name and real server names to protect the innocent.  ;)

RunspaceId       : 2384fe93-dfaa-4416-8fcf-9cf32e1d246a
    AssociatedItemCount   : 8
    DeletedItemCount    : 24
    DisconnectDate     :
    DisconnectReason    :
    DisplayName       : John Smith
    ItemCount        : 230
    LastLoggedOnUserAccount : MY\JohnSmith
    LastLogoffTime     :
    LastLogonTime      : 15/03/2011 2:28:53 PM
    LegacyDN        : /O=MY ORGANIZATION/OU=FIRST ADMINISTRATIVE GROUP/CN=RECIPIENTS/CN=JOHNSMITH
    MailboxGuid       : 28fec6fe-a5dc-4fb1-84fb-0d6d4747d563
    ObjectClass       : Mailbox, UserDisabled
    StorageLimitStatus   : NoChecking
    TotalDeletedItemSize  : 4.851 MB (5,086,306 bytes)
    TotalItemSize      : 8.232 MB (8,631,698 bytes)
    MailboxTableIdentifier : 39C9-A2653
    Database        : Mailbox Database 1207395346
    ServerName       : MYSERVER
    DatabaseName      : Mailbox Database 1207395346
    MoveHistory       :
    IsQuarantined      : False
    IsArchiveMailbox    : False
    Identity        : 28fec6fe-a5dc-4fb1-84fb-0d6d4747d563
    MapiIdentity      : 28fec6fe-a5dc-4fb1-84fb-0d6d4747d563
    OriginatingServer    : myserver.domain.local
    IsValid         : True

When I compare this to other users, its pretty much the same,, the only difference is the ObjectClass..

thanks for your help

Thursday, March 17, 2011 2:15 PM
  • I am also looking for any information about this column. In my environment, I have 600+ linked mailbox with the ObjectClass column value as Mailbox, UserDisabled. I need to search for valid mailboxes and remove rest. Unable to determine the exact meaning/value of this column.

Thanks in advance

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 11:20 PM
  • Um, still nothing?

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 2:25 PM
  • I have the same problem.

But all these accounts will not able to use the OOF.

Any ideas?

Wednesday, July 6, 2011 7:47 AM
  • If oyu have "linked mailboxes", then it is normal, that the exchange user account is disabled. Thats the Ressource Forest model. the active user is located in another forest.

Can you check the property of "msExchMasterAccountSID" of the accounts ?

Normally there are two states

1. USER MAILBOX
    User uses the acconut for Login AND as Mailbox, so ad account is enabled, msexchmasteraccountsid is null, and the Mailbox permissions are "Self:full"

2. LinkedMailbox
    AD Accout is disabled, user logs in with an account of an other (trusted) forest. msexchmasteraccountsid is filled

Exchange MVP www.msxfaq.net
    • Proposed as answer by khemarin Set Wednesday, August 3, 2011 4:39 AM
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 5:38 PM
  • This wasn't about the user account in AD. The actual mailbox is showing up "Disabled" when you issue a Get-Mailbox | Get-MailboxStatistics | FL DisplayName, DisconnectReason

DisconnectReason: Disabled

However, the mailbox shows enabled in EMC. Frank, this is unfortunately not the answer... the account in AD is definitely disabled by design but the question was entirely for a different issue.

Sunday, July 22, 2012 11:29 PM
  • Hi,

Have you checked whether the room mailbox has been hidden from GAL.?

ie: Whether the the option checked on " Room mailbox properties=> General => Hide from exchange address list"

-Muralidharan.

Thursday, July 26, 2012 12:37 AM
  • I don't know if you still care for this but I ran into the same problem - the ObjectClass for some mailboxes was set as,

Mailbox, UserDisabled

The reason was that on the AD accounts of these users the value was set for "Smartcard required for interactive logon"

Wednesday, August 6, 2014 3:39 PM