none
Problem with removing"Microsoft SharePoint Foundation Web Application" service from application server RRS feed

• Question

• I have a farm with 3 servers :appserver,WFE,Report server integrated(ssrs)

these are my runnig services

now based on Topologies for SharePoint Server 2010 

I'm going to stop "Microsoft SharePoint Foundation Web Application" on appserver. but when I do that I can't lunch my EPM site. http://appserver/epm

I mapped http://wfe to http://appserver but it didn't work too

1- what's the problem?

2- on which server should I run "sharepoint server search"?

3- I tried to stop it on both servers seperatly but I saw an error.I set "crawl" and "index Partition" on them. is it something related to this kind of configuration?

4- when we start to instal a farm, what is the role of first server which "central administration" is running on it?

• Edited by Sam-Net Wednesday, January 23, 2013 11:45 AM
    Wednesday, January 23, 2013 11:44 AM

Answers

• Hi Sam-Net,

Both - the Central Admin caveat discusses stopping the MSFWeb Application.

I don't specifically install the MSFWeb App, i just install Sharepoint and leave the defaults.  It works that way....

BR,  Ben.

Ben Howard [MVP] blog | web

• Marked as answer by Sam-Net Saturday, April 27, 2013 6:37 AM
    Thursday, January 24, 2013 1:07 PM

All replies

• Hiya,

1:Below is your problem.

Install and configure Project Server 2010
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee662112%28v=office.14%29.aspx
    Once you have set up a SharePoint Server 2010 server farm, you can install Project Server 2010. The Project Server 2010 software must be installed on each application server and front-end Web in the farm. Once the Project Server 2010 software is installed and configured, you must configure several service applications in SharePoint Server 2010 before you can create a Project Web App site.

2: On the server you want to have search running from. (index location, processor power are important for search)

3: You lost me.

4: Basically in a farm you have nothing. Then as you start to configure the different services, you decide where you want them located.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 1:02 PM
  • Hiya,

1:Below is your problem.

Install and configure Project Server 2010
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee662112%28v=office.14%29.aspx
    Once you have set up a SharePoint Server 2010 server farm, you can install Project Server 2010. The Project Server 2010 software must be installed on each application server and front-end Web in the farm. Once the Project Server 2010 software is installed and configured, you must configure several service applications in SharePoint Server 2010 before you can create a Project Web App site.

2: On the server you want to have search running from. (index location, processor power are important for search)

3: You lost me.

4: Basically in a farm you have nothing. Then as you start to configure the different services, you decide where you want them located.

Hi Jasper,

thanks for your reply but I didn't get what I was looking for

1- you mean befor I create a PWA site I have to stop "Microsoft SharePoint Foundation Web Application" on appserver?if yes what can I do now? and if no please explain more

3- sorry, I meant :I tried to stop "sharepoint server search" on both servers seperatly but I saw an error.I set "crawl" and "index Partition" on these servers. is it something related to this kind of configuration?

4-could you give me required services on application server and WFE to run project server?

Thursday, January 24, 2013 7:40 AM
  • Hi Sam-Net,

Regardless of Microsoft's advice, I would keep it installed and running.  Did you read the caveat regarding Central admin?

Thursday, January 24, 2013 7:49 AM
  • Hi Sam-Net,

Regardless of Microsoft's advice, I would keep it installed and running.  Did you read the caveat regarding Central admin?

are you talking abot "Microsoft SharePoint Foundation Web Application" or central admin?

you mean you have installed "Microsoft SharePoint Foundation Web Application" on both application and WFE server?

Thursday, January 24, 2013 11:45 AM
  • Hi Sam-Net,

Both - the Central Admin caveat discusses stopping the MSFWeb Application.

I don't specifically install the MSFWeb App, i just install Sharepoint and leave the defaults.  It works that way....

BR,  Ben.

• Marked as answer by Sam-Net Saturday, April 27, 2013 6:37 AM
    Thursday, January 24, 2013 1:07 PM
  • when you install sharepoint and project server on application server and WFE in the farm, "Microsoft SharePoint Foundation Web Application" will be installed by default.but how do you want to seprate your application server and WFE if you leave the default

by the way , you mean I don't need to pay attention to Microsoft recomandations?

• Edited by Sam-Net Friday, January 25, 2013 4:05 PM
    Friday, January 25, 2013 4:03 PM