SCCM 2012 Client Deployment via GPO RRS feed

• Question

• Can anyone shed some light on how to deploy the SCCM 2012 Client through GPO.

I want to be able to have a GPO that installs the Client on my servers but it must be installed on a drive other than C:\.

I know tha there are the two .ADM files which one deploys the MSI and the other one sets the parameter for the CCMsetup.exe. Though, it states that you cannnot pass the parameters to the MSI, so how does this all work. 

Do i set the parameters for the CCSetup and push the client through SCCM which will detect the policy? or

Do I set both policies(MSI & Parameters) and should SCCM know whow do the install?

I'm trying to get a good understanding of the GPO deployment.

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 6:20 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

I normally use Jason Sandys startup script in these scenarios instead of the ccmsetup.msi, http://blog.configmgrftw.com/?page_id=349 It is much more flexible and will do the job.

If you wan't to use the ccmsetup.msi you can configure the client push installation settings for the site and client will pick them up from AD if you have extended the ad and published the site.

or you can use both the .ADM files to configure the client installation.

Regards,
    Jörgen

-- My System Center blog ccmexec.com -- Twitter @ccmexec

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 6:52 PM
  • We have extended the Schema and did publish a primary site and a secondary site. So, Are you saying that you can pass parameters to the MSI? If so, then I can use GPO to deploy the MSI and pass the parameters. I did use the push scenario in SCCM but I couldn't ontrol the Install based on workstation vs Desktop. I figured I could use GPO since our Workstation and Server are stored in seprate OU's. I'll take a look at the Jason Sandys startup script  in the mean time.

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 7:04 PM
  • and you can do that with a GPO. Clients will always look at registry for commandlines, if none are found then they Query active directory for published commandlines. Use the adm file found on the install DVD to write commandlines to registry.

Kent Agerlund | My blogs: blog.coretech.dk/kea and SCUG.dk/ | Twitter: @Agerlund | Linkedin: Kent Agerlund | Mastering ConfigMgr 2012 The Fundamentals

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 4:38 AM
  • So, if I understand this correctly, this means that if i didn't extent my schema then I would use both .ADM (1. Deploy MSI) and (2. Install Parameters) to deploy the client through GPO. Though, since I've enxtended my my schema then I only need to use #2 (2. Install Parameters) .ADM to set the parameter which SCCM will use on the push deployment or via MSI in GPO?

Thursday, April 4, 2013 1:57 AM