Desktop not available after startup RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.
    I've seen this problem a few times before, and it has always been "fixed" after a restart.  This time was no exception, so it is not a serious issue since everything is working fine again, but I'd like to know what is causing it.
    When I logged in this morning, I was faced with the introductory blue screen for a longer than usual time.  It said "Preparing desktop...".  When that completed, I was finally logged in, but my desktop was gone - I had a recycle bin, but no other shortcuts.  There was a dialog that came up indicating that my profile was not accessible (or something - I failed to get a screen capture).  I immediately restarted and everything is back to normal.
    However, I was wondering what is causing this and how to prevent it.  If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.  The problem is that it is very intermittent (once every few months or so), so debugging would be tedious at best.  
    I did, however, capture the windows logs for previous day's logoff and the next day's logon from Event Viewer -> Custom Views -> Administrative Events.  They are below.  What is immediately obvious to me is that there was a registry access error during shutdown by winlogon.exe yesterday and there are logs today which seem to indicate that there are logion errors.    

Thanks!!

Chris

Details: Windows 7 Enterprise Service Pack 1

Summary:
    Error 1/8/2013 8:35:00 AM User Profile Service 1505 None
    Error 1/8/2013 8:34:58 AM User Profile Service 1511 None
    Error 1/8/2013 8:34:58 AM User Profile Service 1515 None
    Error 1/8/2013 8:34:58 AM User Profile Service 1508 None
    Error 1/8/2013 8:34:37 AM NETLOGON 5719 None
    Warning 1/7/2013 4:01:45 PM User Profile Service 1530 None

Details:
    Log Name:      Application

Source:        Microsoft-Windows-User Profiles Service
    Date:          1/8/2013 8:35:00 AM
    Event ID:      1505
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      
    User:          MYCOMPANY\chris
    Computer:      CHRIS.mycompany.com
    Description:
    Windows cannot load the user's profile but has logged you on with the default profile for the system. 

DETAIL - The system cannot find the file specified.

Date:          1/8/2013 8:34:58 AM
    Event ID:      1511
    Keywords:      
    Description:
    Windows cannot find the local profile and is logging you on with a temporary profile. Changes you make to this profile will be lost when you log off.

Event ID:      1515
    Keywords:      
    Description:
    Windows has backed up this user profile. Windows will automatically try to use the backup profile the next time this user logs on.

Event ID:      1508
    Keywords:      
    User:          SYSTEM
    Description:
    Windows was unable to load the registry. This problem is often caused by insufficient memory or insufficient security rights. 

DETAIL - The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.
     for C:\Users\chris\ntuser.dat

Log Name:      System
    Source:        NETLOGON
    Date:          1/8/2013 8:34:37 AM
    Event ID:      5719
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Description:
    This computer was not able to set up a secure session with a domain controller in domain MYCOMPANY due to the following: 
    There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request. 
    This may lead to authentication problems. Make sure that this computer is connected to the network. If the problem persists, please contact your domain administrator.  

ADDITIONAL INFO 
    If this computer is a domain controller for the specified domain, it sets up the secure session to the primary domain controller emulator in the specified domain. Otherwise, this computer sets up the secure session to any domain controller in the specified domain.

Date:          1/7/2013 4:01:45 PM
    Event ID:      1530
    Level:         Warning
    Keywords:      
    User:          SYSTEM
    Description:
    Windows detected your registry file is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded now. The applications or services that hold your registry file may not function properly afterwards.  

DETAIL - 
     1 user registry handles leaked from \Registry\User\S-1-5-21-323430023-1619401546-1232828436-22812:
    Process 732 (\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\winlogon.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-323430023-1619401546-1232828436-22812
    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP Monday, February 4, 2013 9:25 PM Moved to more appropriate forum category
    Monday, February 4, 2013 2:39 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Firstly, please see if System Restore helps.

If the issue persists, please check the following:

1. Boot to Safe Mode and see if it works. If so, you can check the issue with clean boot

How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

2. Check the issue referring to the following KB article:

You receive a "The User Profile Service failed the logon” error message
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947215

Thanks.

Nicholas Li
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Monday, February 25, 2013 6:01 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Trenin Wednesday, February 27, 2013 3:12 PM
    Wednesday, February 6, 2013 10:27 AM
  • As I said, a simple reboot usually clears up the problem, so a system restore is not needed.  Neither are the other fixes you mentioned.  The problem is intermittent - happens once a month or so.  I am more interested in what is causing it than fixing it when it happens because I am already able to fix it when it occurs.  

As you can see from the logs, there is a registry access error during shutdown which looks like it is causing something to not be cleaned up properly, which then causes the next startup to fail when locating the profile.  After rebooting, it seems things are properly cleaned up, so it is able to find the profile again.

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 3:11 PM
  • This is still an open question if anyone has any input...
    Wednesday, March 6, 2013 2:44 PM