none
Cannot join domain

Question

• Hi there, 

I am rather new to server 2012, and am studying for my MCSA 70-410.

For the purposes of practicing, I have created a test lab, EDS-DC01 on the corp.matrix.com domain with server 2012 R2.   
    It is housing the AD DS (primary DC), DNS, DHCP and Hyper v. 

IP:192.168.1.72

Subnet Mask:255.255.255.0

Default Gateway:192.168.1.1

DNS use the following

Preferred 127.0.0.1

Alternative: Blank

Within Hyper V I have created a machine named EDS-APP1 with server 2012 R2 on it.  

EDS-APP1  has AD DS and dns (with no added record or forwards) 

IP Address:192.168.1.65
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Preferred DNS:192.168.1.69
    Alternative: Blank

I am having troubles connecting EDS-APP1 to the corp.matrix.com.  I cannot even ping it. 

I have set subnet masks to 255.255.255.0 and have set my preferred DNS server as the ip address of EDS-DC01 but I still do not get anything.   

To add to the equation, when APP1 pings DC01 (192.168.1.69) It gets a reply.  Sometimes packets are dropped as well. 

Thursday, December 8, 2016 3:43 AM

All replies

• The DC should have it's own address as primary and 127.0.0.1 as secondary. Joining the host to the domain hosted on a guest may be problematic. Might be better to stand up another guest or use another desktop. Either case make sure the client also has ip address of DC as primary DNS and no others such as router or public DNS addresses. Host should not have any other roles / applications running on it besides hyper-v.

I am having troubles connecting EDS-APP1 to the corp.matrix.com.  I cannot even ping it.

I'd check that host and guest are both connected to external vSwitch

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by Burak Uğur Thursday, December 8, 2016 6:52 AM
    • Edited by Dave PatrickMVP Thursday, December 8, 2016 3:48 PM
    Thursday, December 8, 2016 4:37 AM
  • Hi Donald,

First, the Hyper-V should be the only enabled role, and workgroup or domain member.

I have set subnet masks to 255.255.255.0 and have set my preferred DNS server as the ip address of EDS-DC01 but I still do not get anything.   

>>>I suggest you try to turn off firewall.

If you want to do experiment about Active Directory domain, if suggest you try to install domain controller on virtual machine in Hyper-V and add the Hyper-V host to domain as domain member.

In your case, if you want to add EDS-APP1to domain corp.matrix.com. The preferred DNS should point to the domain controller(192.168.1.72). If you want the EDS-APP1 to be a domain controller in the domain corp.matrix.com, you should join the computer domain and promote the computer to domain controller.

In addition, here are articles below about Hyper-V for your reference.

Hyper-V: Hyper-V should be the only enabled role

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee941145(v=ws.10).aspx

Running Domain Controllers in Hyper-V

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/virtual_active_directory_domain_controller_virtualization_hyperv(v=ws.10).aspx

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Burak Uğur Thursday, December 8, 2016 6:52 AM
    Thursday, December 8, 2016 6:19 AM