Archiving - Barracuda vs. enterprise vault RRS feed

• Question

• I have a new 300 user exchange2010/outlook2010 system that we installed in May.  We have been converting users from Groupwise and that is nearly complete.  The next item on my agenda is archiving.  We want to keep 6 mos in a user's live mailbox and have everything before that kept in an offline/nearline archive.  The higher ups and attorneys are still trying to work out a retention policy, but in the meantime, IS has been asked to keep things.

Of the admins I know a few are using Enterprise Vault or Barracuda Message Archiver, but none of them are running 2010 and a few aren't even on Exchange.  I am looking for opinions or other options.

Exchange has some archiving built in but I don't put it past our upper management to do some thing granular or bizarre and I don't think I could do much after the fact.  We had an inital meeting with someone that sells Enterprise Vault and they made it out to be so complicated to install that we would have to hire that out.

We explained that we have done all configuring and building of the network inhouse for years including Exchange but that didn't change their suggestion.  The committee didn't like the idea that I may be suggesting an archive product that is more complicated to setup than the system it is archiving, so opinions of setup/management would be helpful as well.

Finally if this should be moved elsewhere, let me know.  The Compliance forum seemed geared to more policy and the 3rd party forum didn't seem to mention these items much.  Thanks.

Thursday, October 13, 2011 3:55 PM

Answers

• Some time ago I was told this about Enterprise Vault. To install it you had two options.

1. Go on a course.

2. Get a consultant/partner in to install it.

When looking at the cost, they were pretty much the same.

The main product I use for archiving at the moment is GFI Mail Archiver. I have it deployed in many sites, including those at some law firms and it is working very well.

You need to remember that "Archiving" is actually two flavours, and the term is used for both.

1. Journaling. This is where a copy of every message is taken before it hits the mailbox. This ensures a complete set is maintained and is independent of the mailbox.

2. Content Archiving. This is where content is removed from the mailbox and is therefore not valid for regulatory purposes because the end user could have modified the item.

Decide what you want to do first, then find a product that fits.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
    Blog | Exchange Resources | In the UK? Hire Me.
    • Marked as answer by emma.yoyo Thursday, October 20, 2011 1:32 AM
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 4:24 PM
  • Enterprise vault isnt too complicated to setup at all UNLESS you have legal & compliance involved and they have their requirements which you to meet in many different countries.  This is where it will get complicated as you then have to design to each country's law while being compliant.

The above is true for both archiving and journaling although journaling is more of the driver.

If business isnt as complicated as the above, the EV is quite forward to setup for archiving and does work well though there can be issue as with all archiving products.

Sukh
    • Marked as answer by emma.yoyo Thursday, October 20, 2011 1:33 AM
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 9:23 PM

All replies

• Some time ago I was told this about Enterprise Vault. To install it you had two options.

1. Go on a course.

2. Get a consultant/partner in to install it.

When looking at the cost, they were pretty much the same.

The main product I use for archiving at the moment is GFI Mail Archiver. I have it deployed in many sites, including those at some law firms and it is working very well.

You need to remember that "Archiving" is actually two flavours, and the term is used for both.

1. Journaling. This is where a copy of every message is taken before it hits the mailbox. This ensures a complete set is maintained and is independent of the mailbox.

2. Content Archiving. This is where content is removed from the mailbox and is therefore not valid for regulatory purposes because the end user could have modified the item.

Decide what you want to do first, then find a product that fits.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
    Blog | Exchange Resources | In the UK? Hire Me.
    • Marked as answer by emma.yoyo Thursday, October 20, 2011 1:32 AM
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 4:24 PM
  • Enterprise vault isnt too complicated to setup at all UNLESS you have legal & compliance involved and they have their requirements which you to meet in many different countries.  This is where it will get complicated as you then have to design to each country's law while being compliant.

The above is true for both archiving and journaling although journaling is more of the driver.

If business isnt as complicated as the above, the EV is quite forward to setup for archiving and does work well though there can be issue as with all archiving products.

Sukh
    • Marked as answer by emma.yoyo Thursday, October 20, 2011 1:33 AM
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 9:23 PM
  • Education is everything... The reason Symantec recommends professional installers is 2 fold...

Exchange archiving is merely creating a duplicate of the mail in a seperate mailbox.. Not very effective in reducing the Exchange footprint, other applications have expensive appliances or use connectors to get the email, Enterprise Vault is completely integrated with AD and needs nothing added to the Exchange server.

1- You will spend time configuring and installing the product then Learn it or you can pay a companay that does this everyday to configure it fo you in half the time - freeing up your valuable time; while learning about it and how to operate it. EV documentation and the Deployment Scanner is very helpful if you want to Install and configure the product yourself. The fact remains with any hardare or Software that educated users open half he support calls than non educated users.

2 - Its not a difficult product to use if you know how to use it. Enterprise Vault is very user friendly and very flexible in configuring for granularity. The reason Symantec pushes the professional install option is that these guys train you while they are configuring it for you.

Lots of people think they are versed enough in Email archivng to install and administer the product effectively. Most are mistaken.

While it is not advsied more than half actually do install it themselves. There is a reason why Enterprise Vault is the leading application for Email archiving, satifaction and dependability.

I have used Enterprise Vault for 5 years since EV version 7.5 SP6 up to 10.1...

- You get what you pay for guys...

Symantec Enterprise Vault Advanced Systems Engineer

• Edited by Systekinc Thursday, November 29, 2012 8:19 PM
    Thursday, November 29, 2012 8:17 PM