none
Devices Task section missing some critical computer tasks RRS feed

• Question

• Until a week ago, the Computer tasks section of the Devices tab of the Dashboard would have five tasks for each device:

View the computer properties, start a backup for the computer, restore files or folders for the computer and customize backup for the computer.

Now, clicking on a device will only display the properties, restore and remove computer; it does not show the Start a backup or Customize the backup.

I am at a loss to see what happened; I ran SFC and no issues with files.  

Thank you.

-Larry

Thursday, May 2, 2019 10:11 PM

Answers

• hi,

1 Is there any error information about your issue in dashboard*.log which locate in "%programdata%MicrosoftWindows ServerLogs" ?
    2 if you close the server essentials dashboard then restart Windows Server Essentials Computer Backup Service, will the problem persist ?
    3 do your issue happened after a new computer added in or install update on server essentials ?
    4 have you checked each computer backup successfully ?if there is any client computer backup unsuccessfully ,we can try to disable backup this computer and reopen essentials dashboard ,will the problem persist ?
    5 if the problem persist ,enter below command in command prompt(open as admin) on WSE server then check the result
    sfc /scannow
    dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth
    dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth
    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Larry L Wednesday, May 8, 2019 7:28 PM
    Wednesday, May 8, 2019 8:35 AM

All replies

• hi,
    we can refer below documents first 

Windows Server Essentials Computer Management Service
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/73dbe4b8-f917-4af6-baf2-1978cd4be217/customize-backup-for-this-computer-is-missing-in-dashboarddevicescomputernametasks?forum=ws16essentials
    Troubleshoot computer backup and restore errors in Windows Server Essentials
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server-essentials/support/troubleshoot-computer-backup-and-restore-errors-in-windows-server-essentials

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 3, 2019 9:19 AM
  • This has nothing to do with the Dashboard issue; although I cannot start a computer backup from the Dashboard because the link is missing, the clients can originate a backup through the Launchpad and scheduled backups do occur.  This post is directed at the visual display of the Dashboard, where certain tasks are missing for client devices.  Oddly enough, when you click on the Server under Tasks, you see the missing tasks. The link you provided says to check the Windows Server Client Computer Backup Provider Service but the service in WSE 2016 is called the Windows Server Essentials Computer Backup Service.

-Larry

• Edited by Larry L Friday, May 3, 2019 11:17 AM
    Friday, May 3, 2019 11:12 AM
  • hi,

1 Is there any error information about your issue in dashboard*.log which locate in "%programdata%MicrosoftWindows ServerLogs" ?
    2 if you close the server essentials dashboard then restart Windows Server Essentials Computer Backup Service, will the problem persist ?
    3 do your issue happened after a new computer added in or install update on server essentials ?
    4 have you checked each computer backup successfully ?if there is any client computer backup unsuccessfully ,we can try to disable backup this computer and reopen essentials dashboard ,will the problem persist ?
    5 if the problem persist ,enter below command in command prompt(open as admin) on WSE server then check the result
    sfc /scannow
    dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth
    dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth
    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

• Marked as answer by Larry L Wednesday, May 8, 2019 7:28 PM
    Wednesday, May 8, 2019 8:35 AM
  • Hello Andy,

I solved the issue by closing the dashboard, then restarting all the Windows Essentials services.  When I was done, the computer tasks all appeared.  I had run the sfc and dism tasks before without solving the problem,

-Larry

Wednesday, May 8, 2019 7:28 PM
  • hi Larry L
    I am glad to hear that current issue is solved .Thanks for your reply.

Thursday, May 9, 2019 3:09 AM