none
Blank login Screen for Office 365 ProPlus RRS feed

• Question

• We are a small university with an office 365 subscription for all faculty, staff, and students. Lately, we have been running into an issue with Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus. Students are being prompted to log into their 365 accounts when opening office products such as Word. However, the login screen shows up blank. This seems to be affecting everyone. I was able to replicate the issue on a spare laptop by signing out within office and trying to sign back in. I see that Microsoft has a bulletin for this. But the solution does not work. We have also tried uninstalling and reinstalling office, clearing out cached credentials, making sure that a proxy is not being used, reseting IE settings, and disabling the firewall along with antivirus. 

A few additional notes: we use federation services. It works when logging in through a web browser and with OneDrive. 

Wednesday, March 28, 2018 5:29 PM

Answers

• I put in a support ticket with Microsoft. They responded stating that they have a service interruption. I had checked the service status when making this post. But did not see any advisories. As of this morning, it is working again. So I am going to assume they have resolved the issue on their end.
    Thursday, March 29, 2018 11:48 AM

All replies

• Hi Pretentious Parrot,

Please try disabling Modern Authentication on one of the problematic clients:

• Launch registry editor (regedit.exe) by running it as administrator.
    • Find and set the following registry key on the device:

Registry Key:

HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\Identity\EnableADAL

Type:
    REG_DWORD

Value:

• Restart the device.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Burak V.

• Edited by Burak VAROL Wednesday, March 28, 2018 6:50 PM paragraph
    • Proposed as answer by Atadolfo Tuesday, March 19, 2019 5:00 PM
    Wednesday, March 28, 2018 6:49 PM
  • Same issue here... Office 2016 got an update today and I'm seeing this result in the user signed out, as well as a blank sign in screen. The solution you suggested did not work.
    Wednesday, March 28, 2018 7:08 PM
  • Doesn't work for us either.  This is a nasty problem.  Our CEO can't use Office.  Seems account based.  Only has one other machine (Surface) licensed.

I can't log him in to Office on anything else.  Blank screen.

GRRRRRRRR!

Wednesday, March 28, 2018 8:38 PM
  • Having a similar issue at one of our clients. The only thing that has worked so far was to take a notebook OUT of the office network (e.g., join it to a WiFi hotspot) -- the Sign-In page then worked. I am thinking that network firewalls may be blocking some traffic, but so far I can't prove it. At any rate -- try connecting the machine that's having the issue to a different network and try it again.

As far as Microsoft goes: Get your crap together, guys. This is basic stuff and it ain't working.

Wednesday, March 28, 2018 8:49 PM
  • This has been happening to all of our newly setup Windows 10 machines with a Pro Plus 365 license. This needs to be fixed immediately. 
    Wednesday, March 28, 2018 10:13 PM
  • Hi all,

Could you provide the specific build number of your Office 365 ProPlus and Windows OS? Are you all using Windows 10? Anyone see this issue happen on other version Windows OS with the same Office 365 build?

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, March 29, 2018 9:48 AM
  • I put in a support ticket with Microsoft. They responded stating that they have a service interruption. I had checked the service status when making this post. But did not see any advisories. As of this morning, it is working again. So I am going to assume they have resolved the issue on their end.
    Thursday, March 29, 2018 11:48 AM
  • I have a Windows 7 machine that is also doing it. Office build is 16.0.9126.2116 and the Windows 10 build we are running is Windows 10 enterprise with all the latest Windows updates. 1709 I believe.
    Thursday, March 29, 2018 12:10 PM
  • I spoke with our 365 support. This is a known issue and will be fixed today with a patch. I was advised to do an online repair once the patch goes through and that will resolve the problem. Should be in the early afternoon or sooner. In the meantime if you have a Windows 10 machine you can bypass this issue by disconnecting from the domain if it's domain joined. Go into the credential manager in control panel. Delete any Office credentials. Then go into the Windows 10 account settings and go to the access work or school tab. Connect via the 365 account here. Then open word and verify it's activated. Once activated you can then disconnect the account from the access work or school tab. You can then domain join and Office will stay activated. Kudos to 365 support on the quick response.
    Thursday, March 29, 2018 12:51 PM
  • Well done, my friend :)
    Tuesday, March 19, 2019 5:00 PM