How to disable Vista "Navigation Pane" with Group Policy RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to setup a Vista image for a high school lab, so I need it very locked down. As part of this process to lock down the computer, I would like to hide & disable the "Navigation Pane" in Windows Explorer using Group Policy. I cannot find any options to hide or disable it. This is part of Server 2008 domain using 2008 group policy schemas.

Thanks.

Friday, March 13, 2009 6:28 PM

Answers

• Hi,

On Vista, Network Discovery was used to find Network computers. If you disable them, users without administrator rights should not be able to find other computers on in Network.

Please try to create a computer startup script which contains the following commands:

netsh firewall set service type=fileandprint mode=disable profile=all
    netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group=”network discovery” new enable=no

You can also try to add the following Registry Key in a startup script to disable Network in Windows Explorer.

[HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\NonEnum]
    {F02C1A0D-BE21-4350-88B0-7367FC96EF3C}"=dword:00000001

Meanwhile, please configure the following policy:
    [User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Start Menu and Taskbar\Remove Network icon from Start Menu]

Thanks.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Proposed as answer by Mervyn Zhang Tuesday, March 17, 2009 12:12 PM
    • Marked as answer by David Shen Friday, March 27, 2009 8:05 AM
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 8:02 AM

All replies

• Hi,

As far as I know, we cannot use Group Policy to disable "Navigation Pane". However, we can use the following policies to get the same result.

Navigate to the following location:

[User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Explorer]

Enable these two polices:

Prevent access to drives from My Computer
    Hide these specified drives in My Computer

The users should now view their Documents folder.

Thanks.

Monday, March 16, 2009 3:54 AM
  • I have used "Hide these specified..." to hide the C drive, but I would also like to hide the "Network" object in the navigation pane that allows the user to browse the network. Do you know how to achieve that?

Thanks for your help.
    Monday, March 16, 2009 12:25 PM
  • Hi,

On Vista, Network Discovery was used to find Network computers. If you disable them, users without administrator rights should not be able to find other computers on in Network.

Please try to create a computer startup script which contains the following commands:

netsh firewall set service type=fileandprint mode=disable profile=all
    netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group=”network discovery” new enable=no

You can also try to add the following Registry Key in a startup script to disable Network in Windows Explorer.

[HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\NonEnum]
    {F02C1A0D-BE21-4350-88B0-7367FC96EF3C}"=dword:00000001

Meanwhile, please configure the following policy:
    [User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Start Menu and Taskbar\Remove Network icon from Start Menu]

Thanks.

• Proposed as answer by Mervyn Zhang Tuesday, March 17, 2009 12:12 PM
    • Marked as answer by David Shen Friday, March 27, 2009 8:05 AM
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 8:02 AM
  • I am trying to lock a Server 2008 R2 Terminal Server\Remote Desktop Session Host and this works for that aswell but is there a way to not apply it to the whole server and only to the users (IE: Administrators that log in locally can see have the network option)?

Also do you know how to disable the other items in the nagivation pane like the Libraries and the Favourites. Group policy does not have many options for these :(

Monday, September 21, 2009 1:07 AM
  • I think the answer continues to be 'no' on this. I've seen a lot of Registry hacks, but not policy, and not something that wouldn't apply to all users (e.g. admins). Hiding the Navigation Pane would solve several problems at once.
    Thursday, July 1, 2010 2:16 AM