none
Delegation of PWA tasks RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We have added a part-time resource to a team.  Currently, a member of that team is assigned to project tasks.  From a capacity tracking perspective, we want to be able to assess when the part-time resource either helps out or takes over a task.  The issue that we have is that we don't always know when help will be asked for or when a task will be delegated, but it is important to track the help or task reassignment (on the fly sometimes).

As for the actual project schedule, the primary resource is assigned to the task by the PM.  The primary resource is responsible for getting the task done regardless if she is doing the work or if she is delegating, re-assigning, or task sharing.

I've seen information on self assigning and the team resource pool, but not sure what the best approach is from an enterprise standpoint.  What is the best approach for this and is there a source for reference?

Any thoughts/insights would be helpful.  Thank you!

Kerry Soltysinski

Tuesday, May 23, 2017 5:38 PM

All replies

• Kerrsol --

The primary resource can reassign either part or all of a task to the part-time helper resource using the built-in Reassign functionality in Project Server/Project Online.  On the Timesheet page, the primary resource can click the Reassign button in the Options ribbon.  On the Tasks page, the primary resource can click the Reassign button in the Tasks ribbon.  Please note that when the primary resource reassigns all or part of a task to the helper resource, this will generate a Task Reassignment request which will be sent to the project manager for approval.  This is the project manager's warning that the delegation is taking place.

Although I could be wrong, I would assume that these types of requests would be reportable in either Project Server or Project Online.  If I am wrong about this part of my answer, I would invite others in this forum to correct me.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Tuesday, May 23, 2017 9:01 PM
  • Thank you.  I don't seem to have the reassign functionality on the Timesheet page.  I have it on the My Task page. 

Also, I've read a lot about the Manage Delegate option in PWA Settings (under Security).  I don't seem to have the Security section.  I have admin rights, so not sure if it is no longer an option, or if I have to add it somehow?

Thank you again for your help!

Security Section in PWA Settings for Manage Delegates

Kerry Soltysinski

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 1:22 PM
  • Kerry --

You never did mention what version of the Microsoft PPM solution you are using. Are you using Project Online, or one of the versions of Project Server? It would help if we knew that.

Regarding the Reassign button that you say is missing on the Timesheet page, this button would appear on the Options ribbon if you are using Project Online or Project Server 2013 or 2016.  Do you have an Options ribbon.

Regarding the missing Security section on the PWA Settings page, it sounds to me like your PWA is set to use SharePoint permissions rather than Project Server permissions.  If you change the permissions mode for the system, you will now see the missing Security section.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 9:29 PM
  • Ah, that would be helpful.  We are using Project Online.  Here is what I have for my options on the timesheet tab:

Oh and thank you for the security settings tip, very helpful!!

Kerry

Kerry Soltysinski

Thursday, May 25, 2017 1:14 PM
  • Kerrsol --

On the Timesheet page, there are two ribbon tabs:  Timesheet and Options.  Click the Options tab to see the Options ribbon, and the Reassign button.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, May 25, 2017 2:10 PM
  • Thank you, but I don't have the reassign option.  Not sure if you can see the image below that I uploaded?

In my Timesheet, under the Options tab, I have options for working on Tasks (import or remove), Data (views and groupings), what I can show or hide (Show/Hide), and Share.

Kerry Soltysinski

Thursday, May 25, 2017 3:07 PM
  • Kerry --

Thanks for the screenshot of what you see.  I do not know why you do not have a Reassign button, but I would suspect it might have something to do with the SharePoint Permissions mode that you are using with your Project Online.  Sorry.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, May 25, 2017 4:10 PM