none
Error - SNA Manage Client - Event ID:5150 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

After the above error appear in the Application log, user reported unable to grab the LU. I am unable to launch the SNA Manager when I remote into the HIS server, and the task manager showing snabase.exe CPU high utilization (around 50%). After that I tried to restart the SNA service but it was hanging at the starting stage. At the end I have to reboot the HIS server. Then everything is working fine after the server rebooted.

This is not the first time this issue happened, is there anyway to prevent the above issue happen again? I am using HIS 2004 version 6.0.1701.0

Hope to hear from you all very soon. Many thanks.

Friday, November 12, 2010 9:43 AM

Answers

• HIS 2004 Service Pack 1 is the only service pack that was released for HIS 2004. HIS 2004 entered its Extended Support Phase on 1/12/2010 (http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=1967), whihc means no new hotfixes will be provided for HIS 2004 unless customers purchase an Extended Support Contract.

There have been hotfixes for HIS 2004 since SP1 was released, but none that would really impact the Evnet 5150 issue. The last hotfix that was released for the HIS 2004 "Manage" components is available for downlaod by clicking the "View and request hotfix downloads" link in the following KB Article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;971130

This fix isn't likely to have any impact on the issue you are seeing, but I thought I would mention it anyway.

Adding more memory to the system won't help as the queues used by HIS to store the status updates are not adjusted based on the amount of RAM on the system. There are some hard-coded maximums for the queues.

If the problem occurs regularly or can be reproduced, it would be nice if you could open a supprot case so that we can get some traces when the problem occurs. Ideally, traces that are started prior to the event being logged and then stopped once the event starts are the most useful.

While we can't provide a fix (assuming a bug is causing this) for HIS 2004, we could maybe determine a way to prevent this and we could see if we might have made any changes or any fixes in later releases (HIS 2006, HIS 2009, HIS 2010) that might resolve the issue so that you'd have some confidence in knowing that this would be resolved when you get to planning an upgrade.

Thanks...

Stephen Jackson - MSFT
    Monday, November 15, 2010 4:44 PM

All replies

• Paul,

These do get reports of these events happening on various HIS versions. In many cases, they occur once or very infrequently and once the server is restarted the problem may not happen again or not for a long time.

In many cases it appears to occur when SNA Manager is left open (or multiple instances are running) and the focus in SNA Manager is on objects (print sessions, APPC LUs) that have frequent status updates (changing between Active, In Session, Spooling, etc.). Each status update causes a large number of messages to flow between the HIS Manage components. When the number of status updates that have to be processed and written to the screen is very high the internal queues that hold the various messages cna fill up.

Many changes to the HIS Manage components have been made over time to try to help improve things, but things like this can still occur on busy servers when SNA Manager is open and focused on objects with frequent status changes. I can't say that this is what happened in your case, but it is something that we see from time to time.

Also, in your case, you are running the intiial release of HIS 2004. You might consider applying HIS 2004 Service Pack 1 which was released 3 years ago.

940312 A list of the bugs that are fixed in Host Integration Server 2004 Service Pack 1
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;940312

Thanks...

Stephen Jackson - MSFT
    Friday, November 12, 2010 8:39 PM
  • Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your valuable information. May I know what is the latest HIS 2004 service pack at the current moment? Or should I increase the memory on those servers to reduce the same thing happen in the future?

Appreciate if you can provide some guidance to overcome this, many thanks to you.

Cheers.

Monday, November 15, 2010 4:14 PM
  • HIS 2004 Service Pack 1 is the only service pack that was released for HIS 2004. HIS 2004 entered its Extended Support Phase on 1/12/2010 (http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=1967), whihc means no new hotfixes will be provided for HIS 2004 unless customers purchase an Extended Support Contract.

There have been hotfixes for HIS 2004 since SP1 was released, but none that would really impact the Evnet 5150 issue. The last hotfix that was released for the HIS 2004 "Manage" components is available for downlaod by clicking the "View and request hotfix downloads" link in the following KB Article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;971130

This fix isn't likely to have any impact on the issue you are seeing, but I thought I would mention it anyway.

Adding more memory to the system won't help as the queues used by HIS to store the status updates are not adjusted based on the amount of RAM on the system. There are some hard-coded maximums for the queues.

If the problem occurs regularly or can be reproduced, it would be nice if you could open a supprot case so that we can get some traces when the problem occurs. Ideally, traces that are started prior to the event being logged and then stopped once the event starts are the most useful.

While we can't provide a fix (assuming a bug is causing this) for HIS 2004, we could maybe determine a way to prevent this and we could see if we might have made any changes or any fixes in later releases (HIS 2006, HIS 2009, HIS 2010) that might resolve the issue so that you'd have some confidence in knowing that this would be resolved when you get to planning an upgrade.

Thanks...

Stephen Jackson - MSFT
    Monday, November 15, 2010 4:44 PM